Just had lasik surgery 3 days ago..

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Just had lasik surgery 3 days ago..

Postby Virginia » Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:59 pm

I had lasik surgery 3 days ago. I don't know if I am expecting too much too soon. My distance is almost 20/20 post op and seems relatively clear.
BUt my middle vision seems out of focus. I was told because I am 52 that I would need reading glasses for a distance out to about 13 inches. But my middle vision is closer to 2 ft. away that I am fuzzy.. It actually makes me feel dizzy at times. Will that go away? If so, how long approximately? My preop K readings were 42.50x45.50x99 and 43.00x45.00x78. My post op refraction is: -2.50+3.50x100 and -.50+1.50x78

Also, when can I get tap water near my eyes? Is there a general rule of thumb for resuming wearing of eye makeup? I am concerned about using eye make up remover on new surgery. Thank you, Ginny
Virginia

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:40 pm

What you are experiencing sounds reasonable at this point.

Your postop prescription indicates that you have monovision. It will take some time for your brain to adapt to monovision. We have a detailed article about Lasik monovision that you may find helpful.

You have enough residual astigmatism that your vision may blur at certain distances and would likely be exacerbated in low light environments. It is so early in the healing period that it is impossible to know what your final astigmatism may be.

Lasik is often more of a six month process than a 20-Minute Miracle. You need time to heal and your brain needs time to adapt.

Please keep us informed of your progress.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Just had lasik 3 days ago etc.

Postby Virginia » Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:25 pm

Whoa! I didn't realize that there was a monovision adjustment done to me. He told me I would need reading glasses which I do need. How can that be monovision? Did you come to that conclusion from my prescription that I listed?

Also, when I had my initial visit with my surgeon, he said I may need an enhancement in 2 mo. or so. Do you think that I need one based on what I am experiencing? I guess I expected it to be perfect as so many of my friends had it done and love lasik. They did go to a different doctor but the one I went to is had great credentials. Thanks for your help as I can't believe how anxious all this has made me. Ginny
Virginia

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:48 pm

Your postop prescription indicates you have monovision effect. Whether or not that was planned and whether or not it will remain as another issue. You may have changes with healing.

In 2-3 months you can decide if an enhancement is appropriate, but until then you are still dealing with the variables of healing. These variables will undoubtedly change over the next 2-3 months.

It is reasonable to be anxious when you don't have the vision you desired, but it is still very early in the healing process and too much anxiety is not a good thing.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Four days post op

Postby Virginia » Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:13 pm

Hi again,

Just wondering if my middle vision is bad because they corrected my distance vision so well? Is that called an over correction? Would enhancement surgery be able to correct the middle vision (2 ft. out) without ruining the distance vision? I guess I need to know the variables if this present state stays the same? The dizziness is annoying and I am worried that I made a wrong decision in having lasik. I probably should have just worn glasses forever. I see so many horror stories on this site. I probably should have found this site before surgery as I may have trusted my gut feeling prior to surgery. I put my eyes in the hands or a reputable surgeon but am truly dissappointed. Thank you for your help. Ginny
Virginia

horror stories

Postby mike r » Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:33 pm

Hi Ginny,

Just consider yourself a torch carrier for laser technology advancement.
Someday your childrens children will benefit more fully from our trials and the errors...

When I go in for the check ups they seem to care more about getting my numbers and running off with them maybe to try an enhance the procedure for the next patient recipient...

If you dont ask they dont volunteer much...

Anyway good luck on the improvement...

I wish we saw more old timers come in these forums and claim great improvements over the so called 6 month healing process period but it seems quite non existent.
Maybe the more reasonable conclusion is you or your brain just adjust.
Also the forums dont APPEAR to promote through personal experiences any study justifying longer term vast improved results from what I gather.

hhhmmm food for thought...

<mike r>
mike r

Postby LasikExpert » Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:07 pm

If you look at the posts of the participants in this Lasik forum you will find they fall into two primary categories. 1) Thinking about Lasik and doing their due diligence. 2) Have a problem and seeking information specific to their symptoms.

What you don't see are people a lot of people who had a good outcome, and that is reasonable. There is not much to say about getting what was expected.

It is delightful when someone who has asked questions about a problem returns later to let us know of their progress, but the nature of these kinds of forums is that people come here to receive information much more than to give information...and there is nothing wrong with that.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby Virginia » Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:20 pm

I promise if I come through this with good vision (as I had with my glasses) I will write back and exclaim my relief!!!! Anyway, can you answer me last bit of questions when I wrote above??? Giinny
Virginia

Re: Four days post op

Postby LasikExpert » Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:13 pm

Virginia wrote:Just wondering if my middle vision is bad because they corrected my distance vision so well? Is that called an over correction?

Overcorrection is when the outcome moves too far away from the original refractive error. As an example, a person who was myopic (nearsighted, shortsighted), the target was plano (no refractive error), and the outcome was hyperopia (farsighted, longsighted). You may have been overcorrected from the target, but I do not know what was the original target and you are still in the healing period.

Virginia wrote:Would enhancement surgery be able to correct the middle vision (2 ft. out) without ruining the distance vision?

Changing one is going to affect the others. The best way to know if you would be satisfied with Lasik enhancement surgery would be after the healing period trying contact lenses that provide different refractive error.

Virginia wrote:The dizziness is annoying and I am worried that I made a wrong decision in having lasik.

Perhaps, but it is much too soon to come to any conclusions. Your disappointment may be short-lived.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

I have similar feelings

Postby renae » Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:33 am

Ginny, like you I'm having trouble focusing primarily with one eye. I don't have distance, middle or even close up vision unless I wear my+2.5 reading glasses. One eye seems to be fine. I don't think I had monovision done as it wasn't discussed as an option but I'll find out at my 1 month check. Some day the vision is worse than others. If I have a bad nights sleep (from worry about whether I did the right thing- a vicious circle) the vision is not so good the next day. I'm at the 3 week mark. I'll let you know when and if things get better. I cant believe how scared I was and to some extent still am. I guess we just have to be patient and let ourselves heal.
renae

Postby Virginia » Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:05 pm

Renae, How long of a healing period did your doctor give you to be patient? I cannot believe the friends that I have that had it done and rave about it. I must admit I have a high astigmatism. I was told at my first exam I may need an enhancement due to that. I wonder if he may have been conservative and under corrected me so he could safely enhance later.
You realize how precious eye sight is when it isn't good, don't you? I see my doctor on Tues. We will see what he says. Ginny
Virginia

Return to Just Had It