Sudden Onset Presbyopia

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Sudden Onset Presbyopia

Postby manort » Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:29 am

I had Lasik one week ago and have been pretty happy with the outcome. I am 41 and before the surgery I noticed that I couldn't read with my glasses on anymore and that I couldn't hold things as close or read small print like I could before. The doctor also covered this with me and had me wear BCV glasses and gave me a book to show me what near vision would be like. It was slightly worse, but would essentially have allowed me to keep up the same lifestyle.

Afterwords, I can no longer (usually) read things held out at arms length. This is a much bigger jump than I expected. Further, my near vision changes through the day. In the morning, it is terrible and improves through the day until I can read at computer distance comfortably. Efforts to focus near help. Sometimes if I stare and print at about a foot's distance, in about 30 seconds it will resolve into readable focus.

Another feature of this is I can feel my eyes refocusing or straining to focus much of the time. I had no eyestrain before, but seem to have it now. I am using reading glasses most of the time when working, but I notice the refocusing even when looking at distant objects. I am strongly right eye dominant.

My question is this, will the near vision improve? I have read many times on this board (by the by, I am very grateful for this board and found it extremely helpful in making my choice to have lasik) that this is a 3-6 month healing process and am happy with that. I would just like to know what happens typically.
manort

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:40 pm

We have a detailed article about Sudden Presbyopia after Lasik that you will probably find helpful. At age 41 you probably have some accommodation, but it now has a new range to deal with. Read about Lasik and focus strain for details and expected changes.

Thank you for your kind words. Be sure to tell your friends and link to us from your own blog or other forums.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby Virginia » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:53 pm

Hi, I too am having trouble with close and middle vision. I can deal with the close with reading glasses as I was told I would need. The thing that really annoys me is I was told I would need reading glasses for the 0 to 13 inches distance. But I need something for the 13 inch to 12 ft. distance. I have eye strain because mey eyes are constantly trying to focus. And the end of a day my eyes feel fried and are bloodshot. Real pretty. At this point I wish I saved the money and kept my glasses. I know at 52 the close up would be a problem but I can't make out items on a grocery shelf. I guess when I am in a nursing home at 92 yrs. and gazing out the window, at least I will have good vision. Meanwhile, I am dialing wrong phone numbers and walking into things. Great quality of life HUH? This surgery is not cure all. Make sure you do your homework for anyone my ahe considering this. Virginia
Virginia

Postby Betty39 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:46 pm

I think neither of you should really jump to any conclusions about where your vision will end up, it's too soon. It will all settle in and then you will see what you have. I remember in the first 2 months such eye strain which is totally gone now. Sometimes it was very bad even though my vision was good. It was just that my brain was trying to adjust to the change. I would say give it more time before you decide how you will see at 92!

Good luck
Betty39

Postby Virginia » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:22 am

Oh Betty, I love ya!! I hope you are right!!! That would be so awesome!! Thanks for the encouragement!! Maybe it just takes this old brain longer to adapt!! Better get out the crossword puzzles! Ha!
Virginia

Thanks for the reply

Postby manort » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:38 am

Both to Glen and to the other posters, thanks for the reassurance. That's all I guess I was asking for. I live in Japan and my Japanese ability is good, but still communication with the docs is not perfect. Further, docs in Japan are confused by the whole 'the patient asks questions' thing. When I asked about it after the surgery, the doc began explaining how presbyopia happens. When I pressed, he only said that it might get better and then again it might not.

Anyone I know thinking of Lasik, I will definitely direct them this way. Best info I have found.
manort

A further note

Postby manort » Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:05 am

I thought I would comment on my other progress...

My middle and distance vision is good! I knew this was going to be a tradeoff and as long as the near vision was going to deteriorate anyway, it is really worth it.

Also, I have been doing pencil pushups which significantly help. That jibes with the article that Glen pointed me to. They help especially in the morning when my near vision is very blurry.
manort

Postby Virginia » Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:36 pm

Could you please direct me to the article with the pencil push up?? Thanks
Virginia

Pencil Pushups

Postby manort » Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:10 am

No article on this site.

I found this trolling the internet for info. Basically, with the change of focus, the eyes have trouble converging. This doesn't have anything to do with the refractive error, but if your eyes are aren't focusing together, then the blurry field is further.

By holding a pencil out in front of you and in 5 second swings bring it toward and away from your nose. This forces the eyes to focus in and helps me read after I do it for only a minute or more. I use a 0.4 tip pen with the measurement written on the cap so I can really see when the image become crisp.
manort

Return to Just Had It