Wavefront Lasik: 10 days out - Expectations?

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Wavefront Lasik: 10 days out - Expectations?

Postby Rob Carter » Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:08 pm

Hi Guys,

Firstly, I must say, this is an awesome forum! A great wealth of useful info!

I had custom Wavefront Lasik 10 days ago. My pre op prescription was R-1.25 -4.75, L-2.5 -4.5. (Yes, a massive amount of astigmatism). At one week out I fluctuate between 20/30 - 20/40. Optimax (the laser eye clinic) said that I should not expect to see any real results for 4 weeks due to my high prescription. Would this be correct? They said that I was now slightly longsighted but I was previously shortsighted. Would they overcorrect me intentionally? Also They said that I still had some astigmatism left. My eyes are very dye - I literally have to drown them in drops every 15 - 30 minutes. My far distance vision is good, but reading the computer screen or middle distance is poor and not very sharp. They said my eyes were healthy and the flap was healing well. Am I being to harsh and expecting too much too soon? I know I have to be patient, but it gets you down all the time and I am constantly checking my vision. I was thinking that due to the high amount of astigmatism they may have to do an enhancement? I still take the steroid drops (off them in a couple of days) but I hear they can blur your vision?

Any advice would be awesome.

Thanks again guys,
Rob Carter

Postby slee104611 » Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:06 pm

Hello,

I had wavefront lasik on December 1 and corrected for massive astigmatism too. My left eye was pretty blurry for a day or so but settled down in 2 days. My right eye (the one with the most correction) got a huge dry spot in the middle of the pupil and I couldn't see a thing near or far for almost a week. At night, I couldn't see anything out of either eye and I was using drops every 15 minutes. By the time of my one month check up, I was reading at 20/10 and my left eye was seeing 20/40 and my right at 20/50. My night vision kicked in suddenly at about 3 weeks, and the blurriness in the right eye cleared at about 5 weeks. I chose to under-correct so 20/40 was what we were targeting. I'm now 8 weeks out and my vision (especially the right eye ) continues to noticably improve. My vision continues to improve so be patient and hang in there. My opthamologist said that you won't get your final results until the 3-6 month mark. It can be annoying and nerve wracking but what you describe sounds normal.
slee104611

vision changes...

Postby mike r » Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:45 am

How can 20/40 and 20/30 combine to read 20/10...Or am I missing something?

Also most of our follow ups are covered by the same facility for the first 6 mos. not that I would suggest that they skew results...

Just seems like a little illogical...

Beside the fact that both eyes can together assist each other in a test..

<mike r> and Im not trying to discount someones improved results...
mike r

missed the numbers...

Postby mike r » Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:47 am

Correction 20/40 and 20/50 = 20/10
mike r

Postby Rob Carter » Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:23 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the comments.

Also, the doctor said I had some bruising/bloodshot underneath the flap on my left eye - would this add to the vision problems? I had some also on the right eye, but as this has gone down the vision has improved.

Cheers.
Rob Carter

Postby slee104611 » Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:23 pm

Distance vision testing each eye seperately is 20/40 20/50. Reading test for both eyes together using the reading chart is 20/10 according to the Prof. of Opthamology at Cornell University Medical Center. I assume that they don't need to inflate their test results like many commercial places do. I've heard that some people who can't see 2 feet in front of them walk out of their exam being told they are at 20/30 or something like that.

Dr. said that it had to do with where the most dryness was located on the pupil and something about looking out versus looking down to read focuses through a different section of the pupil. Sort of like a camera lens with mud splattered on it.

At any rate, every morning is sort of like a optical lottery :)
slee104611

still confused...

Postby mike r » Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:39 pm

Ok so its a legit testing establishment.

So now what I gather is this so called reading test is short range and your 20/10 which is great.

I was calibrated differently somehow for my reading eye or short range to when tested and yes it was fine to.

So was a reading test the only testing used at this facility. Somehow its still confusing.

What about the distance vision test?

<mike r>
mike r

read it again I get it..

Postby mike r » Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:51 pm

Nevermind I read it again I get it. So your distance is 20/40 and 20/50.

Aaaahhh...

I was told I was 20/150 and 20/20 because of the monovision...

I cant see anything beyond 3' clearly with 1 eye but it is potent at 2' to about a 5" then it gets blurry again...

So your distance is not really on target I was confused the way you wrote that first post...

<mike r>
mike r

Postby Virginia » Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:43 pm

Hi Rob, You sound exactly like me with your adjusted vision. I too had a high astigmatism. They did tell me I may need an enhancement (at pre surgery exam) because of it. He told me at about 2 mo. they do it. That seems wierd to me as the healing period is 6 mo. according to norms on this web site. I have bad middle vision which is what I use most. I need reading glasses to see the computer or a book. The 2 foot out distance is by biggest surprise as everything that distsance is out of focus. I had the VISX lazer for my surgery. Don't know if the different machines make a difference either?? Ginny
Virginia

Return to Just Had It