Worried...

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Worried...

Postby ssmarsh8 » Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:41 am

Had custom PRK on Thursday and will post my experiences here when I feel more comfortable at the computer. For now I have a couple quick concerns:

1. I have at this point taken 8 750mg tablets of hydrocodone for the pain. I have experienced quite a bit of itching as a side effect. Called my pharmacist about it in the middle of the night last night, and she said it was OK as long as I'm not having severe allergic symptoms such as hives, tough breathing, etc. However I thought I'd call my surgeon this evening despite him being off-duty to make sure. He seemed fairly annoyed I hadn't told someone sooner, and said I should stop it at once, as the itching is an allergic reaction and can lead to worse things. My main freakout is that somehow this may have slowed or hampered my recovery. He said no, it would not slow my recovery. Can anyone here confirm this?

2. About 30 minutes after taking my last hydrocodone a few hours ago, I experienced a very intense strobe light effect while lying down in my bedroom. There was a small amound of light through the window and it seemed to go away somewhat if I ducked my head under the covers and held it very still, but it was still there even with my eyes closed. My eyes also were oozing quite a bit of tears. To provide more context--I had just put in Nevanac and antibacterial and refresh drops, and I had just taken a shower. The surgeon said this might have been an ocular migraine (I haven't had migraines since childhood) or simply the Nevanac drop moving across the eye (seems doubtful--this was a serious strobe effect that lasted a while). Thank you--
ssmarsh8

Postby LasikExpert » Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:25 am

1) The doctor's presumption that the allergic reaction will not affect the final outcome seems correct.

2) An ocular migraine can be triggered by stress or even the meds you have needed. Report additional incidents to your doctor.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby tiggy » Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:41 pm

Hi ssmarsh8- Hang in there. The first 3 days post PRK are the hardest. In fact, the third day tends to be the worst. The light sensitivity kicks in that day. I could hardly open my eyes- thank God for sunglasses. I wore them indoors. 8)

I am slightly over 2 weeks post- PRK. So I cna definitley sympathize with what you are going through- it is still fresh in my mind:)

I am not sure what the max hydrocone you can take a day but, isn't is around one every 4-6 hours with a total of 6 per day? Hydrocodone contains tylenol and you don't want to overdose on that.

How do you like being able to see the clock? Are your eyes feeling better today? I found the tetracaine drops really helped when I needed relief- even if they last for 1 hour or so.

Basically, I spent the first 5 days with my eyes closed listening to the radio. Caught up on all the politcal news ans such. It was kinda restful to have a break for seeing.

I hope you are feeling better ASAP! :D

Tigs
tiggy

Postby Button1 » Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:17 pm

Is it normal to have so much pain after PRK that narcotics are needed?? I had LASIK and had no pain whatsoever, just that feeling that I had a eyelash in my eye for the first day.
Button1

Postby tiggy » Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:40 pm

Yep- some people have alot of pain. The standard pain meds are tetracaine drops and tramad*l adding hydrocodone if needed.

The pain does vary- I have read reports of no pain at all. I had a very big rx (-7 + 3 OD/ -7.75 + 2.75 OS) and had alot of pain. Some was due to the contact sticking to my eye in the first 24 hours - they had to change it for a flatter lens. In spite of this problem my cornea healed very rapidly.

After day 4 the pain went down significantly.

How are your eyes doing now Button? I wish i could have had the ease of Lasik. I am only 20/40 and still waiting for my eyes to heal......

Tigs
tiggy

Postby Button1 » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:30 pm

Wow, glad I had the LASIK then...thanks for the info.

I am doing well...now about 6 months post-op and 20/20 in left eye and 20/40 in right (was 20/100 and 20/150 repectively.) I do have a LASIK-induced astigimatism it appears. It's more annoying than anything else. If it doesn't get any worse, I will be happy!
Button1

Postby tiggy » Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:34 am

Hi button1-

I am glad that you have a decent result. I hope the astigmatism gets better. My biggest worry was that they couldn't correct my astigmatism completely. I am dealing with the fussy vision that comes with astigmatism right now and healing. It is frustrating!

But, I have heard postive changes can occur after even a 1 year! And I am only 15 days out form my PRK.
I apologize for the typos- reading a computer screen is tough for me- even with large font.

Tigs
tiggy

Return to Just Had It