LASER CALIBRATION REQUIREMENTS

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

LASER CALIBRATION REQUIREMENTS

Postby mike r » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:54 am

For common knowledge purposes-

Do to a myriad of complications arising from the various laser procedures what regulations govern the the servicing of the equipment used? Are there any standard requirements(monthly, yearly etc)?

Also are there certain results being evaluated of patients outcomes per facility? Who governs this?

I know these facilities have to maintain there own reputation but is there more to it than this.?

I think it would be interesting for the facilities to post some information kind of like restaruants are required( grade or score).

I thought when I went for the various evals. to myself. Who are some of the individuals that came before me? Where are the examples of workmanship per say?

Is it such a "roll of the dice" results wise, and because it is an elective procedure, that this standard is kept under the radar to future clients?

Its been kind of slow today thought I d liven it up a little...

<mike r>
mike r

Re: LASER CALIBRATION REQUIREMENTS

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:14 am

mike r wrote:Do to a myriad of complications arising from the various laser procedures what regulations govern the the servicing of the equipment used?

Your presumptive statement is, to my knowledge, without merit. All technology has problems, but there is nothing to suggest that there are more (or less) problems with laser procedures than with other medical procedures.

mike r wrote:Are there any standard requirements(monthly, yearly etc)?

Each manufacturer has their own service requirements, and each clinic may require even more stringent requirements. Calibrations are verified every few patients. Laser upkeep is required after a number of procedures. Each manufacturer and service agency is slightly different.

mike r wrote:Also are there certain results being evaluated of patients outcomes per facility? Who governs this?

Lasik and similar procedures are under the same level of scrutiny (or lack thereof) as every other medical procedure. The federal Food and Drug Adminsitration (FDA) approves medical devices, and how they are used is under the "scope of medicine" rules for each state as determined by the medical board.

mike r wrote:I think it would be interesting for the facilities to post some information kind of like restaruants are required( grade or score).

I quite agree, but that does not exist. Our organization's certification of patient outcomes is a step in that direction.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Just Had It