Hyperope: Epi-Lasik and Lasek Poor Vision

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Hyperope: Epi-Lasik and Lasek Poor Vision

Postby tintin » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:55 am

Hello.

I had Epi-Lasik done on my right eye and Lasek done on my left eye on Janauary 19. I had my Epi-Lasik flap made on January 18 trhough because I fainted on the operating table and they couldn't continue with the proceedure.

My pre-op numbers were:
R +3.25
L 3.25
Mild astigmatism in each.

I had wavefront done on both eyes.

After four very blind days I went for my followup appointment and to have the lenses removed. They did a vision test for me before having the lenses removed and I thought they were just teasing me for some reason. I couldn't read any of it. When the woman asked twice in disbelief that I couldn't see one of the lines I responded with, "I know it's an "E" because it's the largest letter on the chart. I can't see it."

My post op estimate is that I'm about -4.00 in each eye.

At the time I could see about an inch from my nose.

Now I can see about 12 inches from my nose. The doc has reduced my stereriod drops to once per day.

I'm scared and don't see a lot of progress from day to day. I can't read what I'm typing here without putting my face a few inches in front of the screen. I went out tonight and at every street light, I saw six lights in a cluster instead of one.

Anyone have any hyperope experience? I klnow I'm definitely in the minority here.
tintin

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:58 am

Although the numbers look small, 3.25 diopters of hyperopia (farsighted, longsighted) vision is significant. Hyperopic laser eye surgery tends to take longer to settle down and you are very early in the recovery stage. You can expect regression of effect, but it does not come overnight. I don't know how much of your myopia will regress, but time will tell.

A little myopia can provide a bit of an advantage for near vision if you happen to be at or past age 40. Not 4.00 diopters, of course, but a small amount.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby tintin » Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:54 pm

Thanks for the rewponse.

I'll add that I'm 27 years old and I had steep corneas - well, now even steeper. (I think it was 45D or something for each before surgery but don't know what the number means exatcly. I know the higher the number, the steeper the cornea.)
tintin

Postby tintin » Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:45 am

An update:

Today I went in for a check and I have made some good progress. It loos like both eyes are operating at about -1.50 with an astigmatism in my right (epi-lasik) eye.

They have told me to discontinue using the Maxidex (cortostereriod) altogether, saying I am likely reacting to it negatively.

Has anyone else been pulled from there stereriod early?
tintin

Return to Just Had It