Slightly myopic - what are the advantages?

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

Slightly myopic - what are the advantages?

Postby richbron » Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:17 pm

Often its suggested being slightly myopic assists with presbyopia. I am about -0.5 myopic, is this advantageous for presbyopia?

I am only 35 but am thinking ahead.

Thanks
richbron

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:48 pm

There are two ways to describe myopia (nearsighted, shortsighted) vision. One is that you cannot see objects far away very well, the other is that you can see objects near very well.

Presbyopia is when the natural lens of the eye is less able to change focus to see objects near. After around age 40 most people need to use reading glasses or bifocals that create myopia correction to allow near vision. If you have myopia naturally, then you will be less dependent upon reading glasses to see objects near - but there is a cost. Myopia will reduce distance vision.

Some people have surgery to induce myopia when they become presbyopic, such as NearVision CK or Lasik. Inducing myopia in one eye and fully correcting the other eye is called monovision and can provide satisfactory near, mid, and distance vision.

Once you become presbyopic, vision becomes a compromise. Either you have near vision at the cost of distance vision, distance vision at the cost of near vision, monovision, and/or you are changing glasses to fit the situation.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Had It A While Ago