weigh lifting after lasik?

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

weigh lifting after lasik?

Postby kev999 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:46 pm

i have three concers:
1. yesterday, 17 days after the lasik i opted to do some weigh lifting, afterward i felt one of my eyes felt really sore and tire, could this mean i maybe damaged some nerves in that eye? my doctor told me not to do heavy weigh lifting 1st week after the surgery for that same reason.

2. last night i also accidentally spill some(very little amount) shampoo into my eye(the same one experiencing soreness) i cleaned the shampoo out very carefully with q-tip and artificial tear. can this also be the reason that eye is sore and now has more red area than my other eye?

3. also, while i was sleeping my goggle kept felling off and i accidently rub my eyes a little, will this cause the flaps to dislodge?

thanks in advance.
kev999

Re: weigh lifting after lasik?

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:08 pm

kev999 wrote:1. yesterday, 17 days after the lasik i opted to do some weigh lifting...

Heavy weightlifting dramatically raises the pressure inside the eye. The Lasik flap heals slowly and such strain may be best avoided.

kev999 wrote:2. last night i also accidentally spill some (very little amount) shampoo into my eye (the same one experiencing soreness) i cleaned the shampoo out very ...

A small amont of commercial shampoo that is quickly flushed out will not likely cause a serious problem, however you can expect your eyes to appear red.

kev999 wrote:3. also, while i was sleeping my goggle kept felling off and i accidently rub my eyes a little...

If you had dislocated the Lasik flap you would likely have symptoms of poor vision and/or severe pain.

Each individual instance has the potential to cause harm, but the combination may compromise your continued healing. The fact that you don't have any symptoms beyond an angry red eye is very good, but it would be best to report all concerns to your surgeon's office and follow his/her advice.

If you have any sudden changes in vision clarity or pain, contact your doctor immediately.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Re: weigh lifting after lasik?

Postby kev999 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:14 pm

^^^ thanks, i did call the doctor today, and his assistant(he never answer the phone, too busy doing the surgeries) told me no biggies. now that i read your warning about weight lifting i better cancel my appointment with my personal trainer this weekend. thanks.

also, does watching tv for an extended period of time also do harm to my recovery?
kev999

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:27 pm

A moist environment is a good environment for your eyes to heal. We tend to not blink as often when watching TV or working at a computer. So long as you keep your eyes moist by blinking often enough or using preservative-free artificial tears, there should be no problem.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby kev999 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:15 pm

LasikExpert wrote:A moist environment is a good environment for your eyes to heal. We tend to not blink as often when watching TV or working at a computer. So long as you keep your eyes moist by blinking often enough or using preservative-free artificial tears, there should be no problem.

this raise another question, i asked my doctor about the perservative added and non-preservative artificial tears, he said there's no difference and told me continue to use the regular Systane eye drops up to a whole year. i know opinion varies from doctor to doctor but is it harmfull to use the perservative eye drops? i'm planning on keep using the Systane for couple months and then change to the non-perservative ones.
kev999

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:02 am

The preservative used in artificial tears may cause a reaction in some patients and may actually exacerbate dry eyes. Even the "preservative-free on contact" drops have their limitations. The preservative on one disappates with exposure to light. That may not be adequate if you use them just before sleeping.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby kev999 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:15 am

LasikExpert wrote:The preservative used in artificial tears may cause a reaction in some patients and may actually exacerbate dry eyes. Even the "preservative-free on contact" drops have their limitations. The preservative on one disappates with exposure to light. That may not be adequate if you use them just before sleeping.

umm interesting, then why doctors still prescribing those to their patients?
kev999

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:35 am

They don't always cause a problem, they are less expensive, they can be more convenient, different doctors have different opinions.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby kev999 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:13 pm

LasikExpert wrote:They don't always cause a problem, they are less expensive, they can be more convenient, different doctors have different opinions.

so i'm going to use regular Systane during the day and use perservative-free Systane vail before i go to bed. how's this sound?
kev999

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:58 pm

If the cost difference is not too restrictive, my bias is for preservative-free all the way.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby kev999 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:35 am

do i have to use eye drop whenever i wake up at middle of the night? whole night without any eye drop is okay right?
kev999

Postby kev999 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:31 pm

LasikExpert wrote:If the cost difference is not too restrictive, my bias is for preservative-free all the way.

i'm starting to use the Refresh tears since last friday, regular with Purite during the day and perservative-free vail during the night. just wanna make sure there is no ill-effect by using perservative and perservative-free alternately right?
kev999

Return to Just Had It