blurry right eye, halo (Glare)

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

blurry right eye, halo (Glare)

Postby bada5150 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:27 am

Hi,
My right got much better since last few days. Now I can look at computer screen most of the time.
I went to post check up today. My doc told me that my eyes are in great shape. He told me this blurry will go away eventually and it is because of eye is regrowing and that is why I am having this blurry thing.

I was reading many topics and now I have several questions.

1. What are the probability or percentage that people who will not see halos (or glare) during 6 month healing period? I mean someone who sees halos (or glare) after surgery who doesn't see after 6 months?

2. Halos (or glare) what are percentage they would go away in few years even? even 10 years? Will they ever go away?

3. What are the probability or percentage that this blurry will be fixed in 6 months period?

4. What would be really future complications after 5 or 10 years later? Would my cornea become thinner?

5. What is difference between halo and glare? I think halos are one around light sorce and glare is one coming in through window? (they got much better I think)

6. Would my eyes ever go back to before? maybe takes 5 years or 10 years?

7. What are the probability of getting dry eyes after 6 months? or percentage.

Maybe I am overly concerned but this website does really help.
I really appreciate your opinion, thank you Glenn.
bada5150

Re: blurry right eye, halo (Glare)

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:08 pm

bada5150 wrote:1. What are the probability or percentage that people who will not see halos (or glare) during 6 month healing period? I mean someone who sees halos (or glare) after surgery who doesn't see after 6 months?

Our Quality Standards Advisory Committee has determined after review of many studies and direct patient outcomes that about 3% of patients (all types of proceedures, all types of corrections) have some sort of unresolved complication at six months postop. That's all complications including halos or glare.

Some of these patients will achieve relief from their symptoms more than six months after surgery, however we do not evaluate past the six-month date.

bada5150 wrote:2. Halos (or glare) what are percentage they would go away in few years even? even 10 years? Will they ever go away?

I don't know that this data exists. I know anecdotally that some people have had resolution of night vision problems a year or more after surgery, but individual cases are not a study.

bada5150 wrote:3. What are the probability or percentage that this blurry will be fixed in 6 months period?

You probably mean what probability will your problem be fixed in six months. I would only be guessing. All of our data is from a preoperative baseline.

bada5150 wrote:4. What would be really future complications after 5 or 10 years later? Would my cornea become thinner?

The eye will continue to change after surgery at the same rate it did before surgery, so there will be those changes. A recent 10-year study showed Lasik to be safe, effective, and permament. Lasik and similar surgery does not cause a healthy cornea to become thinner.

bada5150 wrote:5. What is difference between halo and glare? I think halos are one around light sorce and glare is one coming in through window? (they got much better I think)

Halos are a blurred ring of light around a light source, most commonly in low light environments. Glare is sometimes descirbed as streaked light that causes a reduction in contrast sensitivity.

bada5150 wrote:6. Would my eyes ever go back to before? maybe takes 5 years or 10 years?

Once you have had Lasik you have always had Lasik. The changes are permanent. In some cases (hypeopes, disease) it may be possible that the refractive error will return to preoperative levels, but this is not normal.

bada5150 wrote:7. What are the probability of getting dry eyes after 6 months? or percentage.

If dry eyes start six months after surgery, they would not been caused by Lasik.

bada5150 wrote:Maybe I am overly concerned but this website does really help.
I really appreciate your opinion, thank you Glenn.

Thank you for your kind words. They are greatly appreciated. The purpose of our website and its forum is to educate people about Lasik and similar eye surgery issues. A competent doctor who has completed a comprehensive examination is always a better source for your answers, but sometimes we can indicate what direction you should evaluate further.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby bada5150 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:55 pm

Thank you for fast response.
1. If 3% will see some complications after 6 months, then 97% will not see any complications at all after 6 months?
2. Is there any probability for halos or glare disappearing after 6 months? I mean like number such as 9% or 5%.
3. Would flap that was made, would it get strong as before surgery ever? I mean the flap get super storng like before surgery after few years?

Thank you
bada5150

3%

Postby mike r » Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:05 pm

Hey - Bada Bing points well taken-and let me follow thru-

I hate to once again chime and this time about the numbers. The magic numbers of refractive correction outcomes. This 3% is really kicked around a great deal in these forums from prospective patients to a quick fix comment often to justify the success rate of EVERYBODY.

I wonder the true details behind such numbers? When? and how often they are updated andrevaluated and who is doing the evaluation? Are the numbers partial to the manufacturers and opthamologists who are in the business of making money off the procedures? Is the testing to derive these figures a narrow benchmark?

"Whats the real meet with these potatoes"

There should be a more thorough understanding of the JUST 3% have some form of complication beyond 6 mos. scenario.
Even my evaluator at the docs office thru out the old "someone has to be the 3%" when mentioning the risk(which is undefined) of refractive procedure.

Oh its just so reassuring that I COULDNT be in the 3%(of what we dont really know) is nt it?

HA!!! <Mike R>
mike r

Postby bada5150 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:22 pm

Hi Mike,
I am just overly concerned and I know. Then are you saying most of people would get halos and glare such complications forever? I just want to know more about.
bada5150

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:31 pm

bada5150 wrote:1. If 3% will see some complications after 6 months, then 97% will not see any complications at all after 6 months?

Statically that is correct.

bada5150 wrote:2. Is there any probability for halos or glare disappearing after 6 months? I mean like number such as 9% or 5%.

Probability, yes, but I don't have any good numbers.

bada5150 wrote:3. Would flap that was made, would it get strong as before surgery ever? I mean the flap get super storng like before surgery after few years?

The overall stability of the cornea does not depend upon the Lasik flap. You may want to read Flap Relift For Enhancement.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby bada5150 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:47 am

I am having little difficulty driving at night. What do I need in order to improve my night driving? a pair of glasses? It has been 2 weeks and 4 days after lasik.
bada5150

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:05 am

If you have residual refractive error then glasses are likely to help. You can reasonably expect improved night vision, but you may want to ask your doctor if the use of a drop of Alphagan P in the evening would be appropriate while your eyes heal.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby bada5150 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:17 pm

I am not sure if I want to use Alphagan-P yet. I have read some topics saying there is side effect on Alphagan-P (flashing and floater).

What is floater?

Thank you
bada5150

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:52 pm

A floater is a tiny piece of natural material that floats in the clear jell that fills the eye. They occur naturally. If they get into the area through which one "sees", they can be seen as translucent "bugs" or "strings".
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Just Had It