Floaters

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

Floaters

Postby poolmaniac6 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:46 pm

Has anyone experienced an increase in floaters by using Alphagan-P?? I have been using this drop a few times a week for the past 2 months and have started to notice not only small, circle type floaters but also big lines and bundles of floaters. I have had the small floaters for the past 12 years and they really never had bothered my vision, but now having the lines of floaters is a bit bothersome. I don't always notice the lines except when I look from side to side quickly. I suppose it is quite possible that these bigger floaters have always been there - I know my brain is hyper-sensitive to any visual abberations since my surgery.

Should I be concerned about these additional floaters???
poolmaniac6

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:00 am

The change in refractive error by surgery does seem to make such things more noticeable. It may be that existing floaters were stirred up by surgery. It may be something else entirely. It is something you should report to your surgeon and seek advice.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby DryEye » Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:54 am

Why does someone use Alphagan-P post lasik?
Was the flap made too small?
I think my lasik caused a floater in my right eye (long string)?
I do think it makes people more eye aware of everything.
I went to a retinal guy about 3 months post op.
They seem to all have no final/definitive answers, which if they are willing to do this to people & the FDA gives them the ok I think the whole industry should be held more accountable for end results and answering the why's so many people have.
At least we have this site along our journey.
DryEye

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:55 am

DryEye wrote:Why does someone use Alphagan-P post lasik?

Alphagan P is a glaucoma medicine that has the side effect of pupil reduction. This can provide the advantage of a pinhole effect and can block light from passing through the outer edges of the cornea, which may be aberrated.

DryEye wrote:Was the flap made too small?

It will be rather difficult to make a flap to small (diameter). One would need to have monsterously large pupils for light all the way at the edge of the flap to be able to enter the eye and be "seen".
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby DryEye » Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:56 am

"....light from passing through the outer edges of the cornea, which may be aberrated."
How does one's cornea edges become aberrated? Surgical error?
DryEye

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:38 pm

Aberrations at the edge of the cornea can be caused by surgical error, an artifact of surgery, environment, contact lenses, or naturally. Every cornea has aberrations. Some are problematic and others are actually used by the brain to enhance vision quality.

Wavefront testing that eliminated all aberrations in a patient and created a "perfect" optic actually caused a degradation in subjective vision quality. As aberrations were returned, the patient reported vision quality returned. It is asumed that the brain learns how to use aberrations to its advantage during the early developing stages of life and even as we become older and our aberrations change.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Had It A While Ago