Tips on eye drops?

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Tips on eye drops?

Postby ssmarsh8 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:17 am

Had custom PRK last Thursday. I'm not quite ready to spend the time needed to document my PRK saga, but I do have a quick question. I will comment about the post I made a couple days ago about the scary strobe light sensation--it indeed appears to have been an ocular migraine, as it came and went throughout Saturday evening and night. Thankfully it hasn't returned and I assume it was triggered by either a) the extreme stress I was feeling due to pain, etc. or b) my allergic reaction to Vicod*n. Feeling much better now and I will detail my experience soon!

I'm currently taking Vigam*x (anti-infection) and Econopr*d (anti-inflammatory) drops, in addition to preservative-free tears. Now that I have time for such petty issues and don't feel searing pain in my eyes (ha) I'm pretty grossed out by the taste I get in the back of my throat after taking the drops.

Is there a certain order that's best to take these, in order to maximize tissue absorption (I do wait 5 min between drops)? Also, any tricks to keep it from running into my throat? Very nasty!

Thanks, and hang in there PRK folks, just the last 24 hours has proved a dramatic transformation in my eyes and spirits (plus I got the darn contacts out today, hurray).

Sarah
ssmarsh8

drink a cola

Postby marion » Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:55 am

I also had PRK. It hurt, didn't it? I didn't really expect that.

I think the taste of the drops is unavoidable. I find it's worse if I use artifical tears 5 -10 minutes after the bad-tasting drops. Maybe it washes them down more? I've gotten kind of used to it, but I generally have a drink of something sweet to cover it up. I asked about the order of the drops and my clinic said it didn't matter as long as I waited at least 5 minutes between them.
marion

Postby tintin » Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:52 pm

if you pinch your tear ducts closed (my drops have instructions for that) then they won't run into your throat. basically pinch at the bridge of your nose at your eyes and that should close them up!
tintin

Postby ssmarsh8 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:22 pm

Thanks, I also came across that tip and find that it helps. Speaking of drops, it seems like my prescription on the EconoPred drops is longer than most??? Starting the day I got the lens bandages out, I'm supposed to do 4x a day for a week, then 3x a day for a week, then twice a day for a week and then once a day for a week. Sheesh! I thought they were just an antiinflammatory that would be needed for a week or so. They are different from the steroid (?) drops I took for a few days following surgery, Nevanac. It seems like I read somewhere that antiinflammatory drops can slow healing but maybe I'm wrong.
ssmarsh8

drops

Postby marion » Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:30 am

I had three kinds of drops. One type was tapered down over the three days following surgery. The other is called FML and I'm going to be on that for quite awhile. 4x a day for one month. 3x a day for the next month. 2x a day for the third month and once a day for the fourth month. Does that seem like kind of a long time? There was also an antibiotic for 2 weeks.
marion

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:37 pm

The eye drop routine sounds about normal. Tapering off the steroids is almost always best.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Just Had It