How long w/o contacts before surgery?

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

How long w/o contacts before surgery?

Postby daf999999 » Sat Feb 03, 2007 5:06 pm

Had my initial exam. Doc was great - after his staff spent 2 hours testing, etc, he spent almost an hour answering questions with detailed and frank answers. He appears very careful and conservative - for example, even using all the latest technology, he doesn't like to go below 300um remaining tissue vs the 250 I've heard from other docs (making me a good candidate for monovision w/ remaining corneal thickness at 324/320). But, here is the question - I've been wearing soft contacts (non-toric) for 20 years. Doc says 3-4 days of no contact wear and I'm ready for final exam and procedure on same day. He says no benefit to stopping contact use for two weeks. What do you think?
Thanks
daf999999

Postby yawny » Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:17 am

My surgeon wanted me out of them for two weeks. He is tops in his field here, and teaches to all of the doctors in the area. I actually was out of them for about 6 weeks, because when I started this process, they wanted me out of them for 1-2 weeks before my evaluation appointment, and I went to two places to be evaluated. The appointments were two weeks apart. They said they need your cornea to go back to it's natural shape, which is changed by the contacts.
yawny

Postby Button1 » Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:09 pm

My surgeon said the longer you have been wearing contacts, the longer you need to not wear them before the surgery. His minimum time was 30 days!
Button1

Postby peakaboo » Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:37 am

My doc said remove contact for 1 week prior to initial evaluation/mapping and 1 week prior to the actual surgery. The clinic has over 40,000 procedures experience between the 3 surgeons.
peakaboo

Postby maria22 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:58 am

I had to stop wearing my (hard) contacts 4 week before the big examination and just kept them out until surgery day.

But I have heard that 2 weeks is the minimum for soft contacts, and I would recommend the more conservative approach. It's surgery, after all, and it's a small thing to so in order to get more accurate results.
maria22

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:37 pm

As your individual experiences show, there is no agreement between doctors on how long a patient needs to be out of contact lenses. We have an article with details and a conservative suggestions of how long out of contacts before Lasik.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby bbarnard » Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:06 pm

Yeah this is a really interesting topic. For my first (failed) attempt at having surgery (the surgeon cancelled twice), they suggested a week without them. I have another consultation with a second provider this coming Wed and they said 3 days (I wear soft). I had actually been without mine for about 2 weeks (a week before my pre-op and the actual surgery dates for the first provider) AND they indicated that if I was a candidate they could do the surgery the next day. Interestingly the second provider is the only Intralase provider in the N. FL region and also is the [national chain] provider for laser correction in N. FL. He does ONLY laser refractive surgery (no glasses or contacts) and his website says he has done over 12,000 procedures.

Note: Post was edited to remove the name of a clinic.
bbarnard

Going without contacts before PRK or Lasik

Postby cprevatt » Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:56 am

I was scheduled for PRK surgery and had to go without contacts for a month and wasn't happy about it either, but in the long run was glad I did. They thought I would be a great candidate for the surgery but in the end, as my corneas went back to their natural state, my cornea's were ultra thin and if they had progressed with the surgery before that I would have probably had a massage problem with my corneas and had to have a corneal transplant. It's better to wait and be safe than sorry. Now I'm considering IOL as a last resort.
cprevatt

Postby gio79 » Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:08 pm

The following is taken from http://www.fda.gov/cdrh/LASIK/expect.htm .
(I do not live in the US but I assume that the FDA is a reliable and authoritative source).

"
If you wear:
* soft contact lenses, you should stop wearing them for 2 weeks before your initial evaluation.
* toric soft lenses or rigid gas permeable (RGP) lenses, you should stop wearing them for at least 3 weeks before your initial evaluation.
* hard lenses, you should stop wearing them for at least 4 weeks before your initial evaluation.
"

I understand that once you stop wearing them you are supposed to keep them out until surgery day.

gio
gio79

Postby LasikExpert » Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:31 pm

We are a little more conservative about RGP contacts than the FDA.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby subbymuffin » Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:23 pm

bbarnard wrote: Interestingly the second provider is the only Intralase provider in the N. FL region and also is the [national chain] provider for laser correction in N. FL. He does ONLY laser refractive surgery (no glasses or contacts) and his website says he has done over 12,000 procedures.

Note: Post was edited to remove the name of a clinic.

Hello bbarnard I just had a consultation for Intalase in Jacksonville and would love to talk to you about your experience. Is it possible for me to contact you via email?

Many thanks!
Heather
subbymuffin

Re: Going without contacts before PRK or Lasik

Postby bat » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:08 pm

cprevatt wrote:I was scheduled for PRK surgery and had to go without contacts for a month and wasn't happy about it either, but in the long run was glad I did. They thought I would be a great candidate for the surgery but in the end, as my corneas went back to their natural state, my cornea's were ultra thin and if they had progressed with the surgery before that I would have probably had a massage problem with my corneas and had to have a corneal transplant. It's better to wait and be safe than sorry. Now I'm considering IOL as a last resort.

Do corneas always measure thinner after not wearing lenses for the advised time then? I was also told one day here in the uk, but a Harley Street top surgeon elsewhere advises two weeks.
Thanks for any advice - hate specs, but if its worth it.....
bat

Edit of last post: probably silly question!

Postby bat » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:58 pm

If the answer is 2-3 weeks with no toric lenses would it harm to wear them only when I run or go to gym (about three times a week for about an hour)?
Can't imagine working out in my heavy specs and if they fall off and break I would be minus £200!
bat

Postby lvziggy » Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:16 pm

Bat, I was told by my surgeon to be out of my contacts for 3 weeks before my surgery since I wore toric lenses. They said 2 weeks for regular contacts, but 3 for torics since they really change the shape of your cornea. I wouldn't even try wearing them for just a few hours at a time, they'll still affect your corneas.

Although I understand what you are saying about not wanting to wear heavy glasses while working out, I would think the more important consideration would be trying to get the best outcome from your surgery that you can. So if that involves being incovenienced for a few weeks, so be it. With a good outcome from refractive surgery you'll be happier for the rest of your life. That's a long time when compared to a few weeks of inconvenience.

Just my 2 cents.

~Alison
lvziggy

contact lenses

Postby bat » Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:27 pm

Several people have commented the same on a forum here in uk and they agree, I would just have to plan around it and do the sensible thing. Otherwise if my outcome was not good I would always wonder....
Thank you.
bat

Return to Thinking About It