Can see hinge of crystalens

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

Can see hinge of crystalens

Postby Margie » Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:00 am

6 days ago I became aware of what I thought was a "floater" in my left eye. I had Crystalens IOLs placed in both eyes in June of last year. The left eye was corrected to monovision. I have been extremely happy with them but then noticed I could see what I think is the hinge of the IOL in the left eye, left side. It has not affected my vision except for the distraction of it opening and closing. We have been on vacation and just got back and cannot contact my doctor till Monday. Is this common or even possible? If so, what to do? Thanks for your answer.

Margie
Margie

Postby LasikExpert » Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:20 pm

If you pupils become large enough light passing through the outer edges of the Crystalens optic could reach your eye and be seen, but it would most probably present as a blur. This is the first I've heard of someone being able to identify one of the Crystalens hinges. Please let us know what your doctor says after examination.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

seeing the surgical markings..

Postby mike r » Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:59 pm

Hey,

I saw the circular cuts around my eyes from the keratome using a 10x mirror.
I told the doctor about it and he said he didnt know how I could see that with a naked eye. But I had forgotten to inform him of my 10x...

Dont everbody run out and get one though I warn you may become a face butcher like me thanx to the introduction by my x wife who started me on it, trying to unclog pores with needles and just a general poke and proder...

It s a bad habit...

So much for that... I guess if I dont have much to say I should nt say anything at all...

<mike r>
mike r

Postby Margie » Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:06 am

Glenn, thanks for your reply. I'll call tomorrow and see what my doctor has to say. It sure isn't a floater. I can see these little black things opening and closing as my eye focuses...weird.

Mike, I have a magnifying mirror but don't like to see all the wrinkles!

Margie
Margie

Postby Margie » Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:59 pm

I saw my doctor this past week and the exam determined that when the crystalens was implanted the stretching of the pupil made some irregularities in the iris. This is what I am seeing. It will not resolve but as in the monovision I have in my left eye, the brain will learn to ignore it after a time. Just seems weird that it happened 6+ months after the surgery. My vision continues to improve and I'm extremely satisfied with my choice of Crystalens implants. Another mystery solved!
Margie

Postby DryEye » Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:08 pm

Glenn:
How does the stretching of the pupil make irregularities of the iris?
How does all this happen?
Could it theoretically happen with lasik?
DryEye

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:34 pm

A slightly oval pupil would certainly explain the anomaly. I'm glad to hear that the cause is found and the symptom seems to be less of a problem.

All intraocular lens implants (IOL) are fixated within the eye with haptics that act like outstretched arms to hold the IOL centered and in place. Haptics put a slight amount of pressure on the interior tissues of the eye. This pressure can on rare occasions cause the iris to constrict differently at one or two points and/or can cause a slight stretching of the iris, which could translate into pupil ovalization.

Many people have oval pupils naturally, or the pupil becomes more oval as the iris constricts, or the pupil decenters as the iris constricts. If pupil ovalization does not cause vision disturbance, or if the disturbance is not problematic, the best plan may be to do nothing at all.

Pupil ovalization due to mechanical internal pressure would not occur with Lasik as Lasik does not implant an IOL.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Had It A While Ago