4 weeks post LASEK, can't read the top of the eye chart

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

4 weeks post LASEK, can't read the top of the eye chart

Postby Ruphusp » Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:07 am

I had LASEK on January 5, and can barely make out the top letter of an eye chart from 20 feet that I found online and printed out. This is only with my left eye. My right eye is great as of the 3rd week. Things were pretty promising a little over a week ago when there would be moments that my left eye was doing great. Now it is only sharp for the first second after wetting drops. I can see fine within about 3 feet, but from there out things get pretty blurry. I'm concerned because things havn't changed much over the past week, except I don't get the promising good times any more. I was told I was 20/400 before surgery. I don't know what my prescription was, but my old contact lense box says D-3.25, BC 8.6, DIA 14.2. Do I just need to wait this out?
Ruphusp

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:54 pm

You probably do just need to wait this out, but you want to notify your doctor of your symptoms and give them the opportunity to examine you to be sure that this is all just a part of the healing process.

LASEK can have an extended healing period and it is not unusual for one eye to respond differently than the other.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby Ruphusp » Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:17 am

Thanks for the feedback! I'll update my status when things improve.
Ruphusp

Follow Up

Postby Ruphusp » Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:17 pm

After my last appointment, it looks like I'll need an enhancement in my left eye. Things are a bit better, I'm still 20/60 in my left eye, but a solid 20/20 in my right. The doctor told me I can't get the enhancement for 6 months after the surgery, which is a bit disapointing.

Overall, I can now say the process has been worth it, with another surgery to go. I was just suprised at how long the healing process took. I know this is an elective surgery, and they need to market, but I was not ready to be unable to see for 3 weeks. Maybe they said it and I didn't want to hear.
Ruphusp

Re: Follow Up

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:59 pm

Ruphusp wrote:Maybe they said it and I didn't want to hear.

That is one of the most insightful statements in this forum.

If you are myopic (nearsighted, shortsighted) in the eye that needs enhancement and are at or past age 40, you may decide to keep a small amount of myopia for Lasik monovision.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

A year later, all better!

Postby Ruphusp » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:56 pm

A year, and an enhancement in each eye later, everything is going great! The healing for the second procedures was much faster, and I did them at separate times, so I was able to wear an eye patch over the healing eye and not have to strain to see while healing.

I guess I just didn't realize how long it would be before I would heal up. But now, the process was well worth it.

Thanks for this site and the help through rough times!
Ruphusp

Return to Just Had It