Glaucoma

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Glaucoma

Postby mallory » Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:12 pm

I am a 60-year old female. My mother had chronic type glaucoma at about age 55. She had cataracts, with IOL implants. Her sister had glaucoma in her 80s.

I get checked every year, and have never had any pressure problems, or sign of cataracts.

My vision is the regular aging thing, bifocals. I would like to only wear glasses for reading.

Am I candidate a LASIK or not?
mallory

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:45 pm

Glaucoma in the family would not necessarily exclude you from Lasik and since you personally have no history of elevated intraocular pressure (IOP) it would seem that this is not a concern.

If your only limitation is the need for reading glasses and your distance vision is fine, then you are probably not a candidate for Lasik. If you require corrective lenses to see distant objects well, then you may be an appropriate candidate for Lasik, however only a comprehensive examination by a competent doctor would be able to tell and you may want to keep you mind open about alternatives.

At age 60 the natural lenses within your eyes are probably not able to change shape to allow for near focus. This is called presbyopia. It may be appropriate to consider replacing your natual lenses with artificial intraocular lenses (IOL) that would be targeted to resolve your distance vision limitations. This is called Refractive Lens Exchange (RLE) and is exactly the same as cataract surgery. RLE will not resolve your presbyopia, however there are speicalized IOLs that offer some assistance for both distance vision and near. If you consider RLE, you should evaluate Crystalens, and multifocal IOLs.

Another method of reducing the effects of presyopia is monovision correction. You can achieve monovision with contact lenses, Lasik, or RLE. If you do not need corrective lenses for distance vision, then NearVision CK may be an appropriate technique to reduce the need for bifocals and/or reading glasses.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It