Monovision - max difference in diopter

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Monovision - max difference in diopter

Postby daf999999 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:35 am

I'm considering monovision and have started experimenting with contacts. My contacts are 3.25 in each eye but I've been wearing a 2.0 in my left eye. No issues after a month. My question is what is the lowest I should go in my left eye to ensure that my monovision lasts as long as possible to avoid reading glasses. I am 46 and just started needing reading glasses in the past 6 mos. I am thinking of moving down to a 1.0 in my left eye and see how I tolerate it.
thanks for any input
daf999999

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:43 am

What is tolerable varies from person to person. The general rule is 2.00 diopters of difference maximum. Keep experimenting with the contacts to find what works best for you.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby daf999999 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:50 am

Wow - thanks for prompt reply. Assuming I can tolerate a 2.25 spread (1 to 3.25) will I see benefits -- will I be able to push off the need for reading glasses as long as possible? Assuming i tolerate well, are there any downsides to a big spread?
daf999999

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:54 am

The downside to a wide spread is the loss of mid vision. Very myopic (nearsighted, shortsighted) will provide good near vision. Full correction will provide good distance vision. What varies is the mid vision.

Also, too much difference will more greatly affect depth perception and can lead to dizzyness, nausea, and a host of other problems. If you feel "weird" with 2.25 diopter difference, it may be due to the monovision spread.

Have you read our article about monovision?
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

monovision

Postby yawny » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:43 am

I just had Lasik yesterday with the custom wave lasik, and intralase or the flap made by the laser, and had the monovision. My contacts were right eye -4.25, left eye -3.00,but these were bifocal or multifocal lenses, and I am not sure that the numbers truly correspond to other contacts. My glasses were -3.75 and -3.25, with astigmatisms in the right eye and one mild one in the left eye. When I was evaluated by the surgeon, in two different clinics they said the glasses prescription was over corrected by almost a diopter in the left eye. The surgeon advised that we only do the right eye and see how that works. He said he would have to do such small correction in the left eye, it didn't seem to warrant the cost, so I should see how it works. Today I tested 20/20 with both eyes., and I am still healing. My reading vision is great, and the distance is vey clear although at times it is blurry with the healing process. I have been diligent with my medication instillation. My mid vision isn't too bad, either, but I am using a laptop, so I can put it closer to my face. I have encountered only a small amount of dizziness a couple times, but I also had this when I started monovision with my contacts many years ago. At that time it disappeared in a weeks time. I should mention that I am 57, and in excellent health, and I need my close up vision for work in a highly detailed technical field, so it was important to me to not have to use reading glasses all the time, although I realize I may need them when my eyes get tired, or later on in life. I hope this helps. I will keep you posted on my progress, or you may e-mail me further.
yawny

Postby daf999999 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:23 am

yawny

very helpful, thanks. So, essentially you were 3.75 and 2.25 before surgery and you had your right eye fully corrected for distance and nothing done to your left eye - is that correct?
daf999999

Postby yawny » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:03 am

Yes, although I think they said I was a little overcorrected in my right eye as well, it was more like a -3.50. So far it has worked well for me, but I would certainly advise you to try monovision with contacts first to see how you adjust, or you can always just do one eye for your distance, and see how it works, and if you need to ,have the other one corrected later. I had worn contacts for monovision for about 13 years in the past, so I knew that it would probably work if the eyes were not to different in the prescription.

Tonight I drove for the first time at night, and the lights were driving me crazy. with halos etc. I also had this when I started monovision with contacts, but it went away after about a week. Hope this helps.
yawny

Postby kellymasonmom » Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:01 pm

I had wavefront lasik yesterday on only my right dominant eye. My R eye was -2.0 and L eye was -1.75. At my appointment this morning I tested 20/20 in my R eye. I have no close or mid range vision issues. My only vision issue is that I see halos around headlight with both eyes. If I cover my L eye the vision is perfect. Apparently my brain is still trying to figure out the monovision thing. My only regret is that I didn't do it sooner. It is wonderful!
kellymasonmom

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:55 pm

Congratulations!

The halos around light sources will be due to your left eye being nearsighted. Light at a distance is blurred to that eye. The combination of the blurred distance object with the sharp distance vision with your right eye may cause a halo effect.

It is reasonable for your to become accustomed to the blurr, but after a few weeks or months you may want to get a pair of glasses that fully correct your left eye and have a clear glass over your right eye. This will give you full distance correction and would be usefull for night driving or when precision depth perception is needed.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby yawny » Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:40 am

Thanks Lasik Expert, for that input. Is it necessary to wait a few weeks to get these for driving? I work a night shift, 7P.M.-7 A.M., and it is really hard for me now to drive.

Also, would it drive my eyes crazy to have a pair made that were focused for distance for my close up eye, and then have the other eye clear on the top, with a focus for close up on the bottom?In other words they would be progressives to use when my eyes get tired for reading, as well as driving at night. I sometimes feel like I am getting some eye strain after reading a long time, and I was trying to see if I could solve both problems with one pair of glasses. When I wore contacts I had readers that were clear on top, and corrected for reading on the bottom, because the readers you buy at the drug store made me dizzy.
yawny

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:48 pm

If you get distance glasses now, try to do it at a place that has a change policy that will exchange the lenses if your eyes change within a short period of time.

Your brain is very good at figuring out how to use all available advantages. It is not likely that the occasional use of distance glasses will negatively affect your monovision when you are not using distance glasses.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It