Forum not just for refractive deficiences BUT...

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Forum not just for refractive deficiences BUT...

Postby mike r » Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:57 am

I feel that a majority of us are just the general public coming here looking for answers to refractive surgery procedures and then after having our procedures discuss our outcomes(short and long term good or bad).

Now I have to admit even though others classify these forums as a majority of patients with less than optimum outcomes trying to understand their shortcomings, I beg to reason the point of a generally higher(3%) percent with side effects then the studys so decree.

I base my conclusions on alot of members arriving here prior to their procedures then continuing good or bad to follow up with others monitoring procedures and progress. This leads me to the point. Where are the 97% hailing their miracle outcomes with no residual side effects? Have they just road off into the sunset not lending hair nor hide to their outstanding outcomes?

Oh is the cat away?

<mike r>
mike r

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:29 pm

I think it is fair to say that there are three primary categories of people who visit this forum: 1) Those considering Lasik or similar surgery. 2) Those that have had Lasik or similar surgery and have a problem. 3) Those that have had surgery and have no problems. Of these three categories, there are two classes: 1) Those who post to get the information they seek. 2) Those that get the information they need by reading others' posts.

By far, the vast majority of people reading our website are those who do not post to this forum. We have just a bit under 1 million unique visitors each year and growing, yet fewer than 5,000 posts a year. That is not surprising. Most questions have already been answered somewhere in our website and there is no need to post a question if the answer has already been found.

Those who have had a good outcome have little motivation to be searching the Internet for information about what has already been successful. They have little motivation to post in the forum. They have even less motivation to post multiple times. "Hi, Lasik was great for me", does not need repetition. Also, some may feel 20/Happy posts are disrespectful of those who have had difficulties. Respectful people don’t gloat.

I really appreciate when people return to our forum to tell us their final outcome. So often the last we hear is a comment or concern about a problem and that information is just hanging there even if the problem has been resolved – but that is the nature of these forums.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

re

Postby mike r » Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:16 am

Maybe a little subjective incentive that people searching for answers and knowledge would benefit from could be a 1 through 5 ongoing satisfaction poll covering a time frame and procedure and or topics ( a simple but beneficial addition to the forum).
This may help narrow, confirm, and add incentive to the VAST numbers of non particpants(so stated) and also be a positive good unbiased ongoing research evaluation.
It may help eliminate the not to be disrespectful but inconclusive response of "I think it is fair to say etc"

Just a simple satisfaction poll. Nothing more nothing less.
And take up a small portion of the site.

Just a followup thought - <mike r>
mike r

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:30 am

The problem with any poll in a forum like this is that it is not an accurate representation. It will always be skewed. That is why our Quality Standards Advisory Committee reviewed all those studies and we are constantly reviewing patient outcomes as a part of our certification process.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

SKEWED???

Postby mike r » Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:50 pm

AAAHHH!!! but margins of error exist in any poll/study...

Maybe a non beneficial variance is the concern. Rather than a skewing.

Touchee-
<mike r>
I am not a democrat
mike r

Return to Just Had It