My Epi-Lasek Experience....

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:27 am

The epithelium undoubtedly has covered 100% of your cornea, but it will also thicken and smooth with more time.

It is common for the epithelium to make a "Mercedes emblem" in the center. This is due to the sides healing into the center where they meet. This meeting point can be a bit irregular at first, but this too normally resolves with additional healing.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby GodsClay » Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:43 pm

Robb....

How is your progression compared to the co-workers that you've mentioned?

GodsClay

Postby rgonyer » Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:32 pm

Didnt you say you were painting and doing all this stuff around the house right after the surgery

Yes I did - Probably not the wisest move I have ever made in my life! I don't know if it had an effect or not, especially since on Monday the doc said that I was healing more quickly than most.... but I would definately advise resting as much as possible instead of trying to utilize every minute like I did ;-)

It is common for the epithelium to make a "Mercedes emblem" in the center.

Funny you should say that - the ghosting that I see with my left eye only almost appears to be in that particular shape.

How is your progression compared to the co-workers that you've mentioned?

Thanks for asking - Yesterday, I did talk to one of the two that had E-lasik with my same doc. I mentioned on the sheet that they give you post-surgery, it has a line that says "You should be very happy about one week post-op". I am now one week post op, and definately not happy, but somehow I have gained some patience (mostly due to the advice on this board, probably). My co-worker told me he was not happy at a week either, it was more like a month for him. A year later, he is still testing 20/15 with no noticeable artifacts, so that gives some comfort as well.

I really do think my horrible testing yesterday was pertially due to the dry eye. It was so dry when I first walked into that office. Now that they have taken my contacts out, I am noticing regression - not quite as good in either eye today..... but I was told to expect that when the contacts were removed. They can tend to restrict the swelling I was told.

I apologize for not getting my pre-op measurements - it totally slipped my mind when I couldn't see the eye chart, lol. I'll try to get them next Wed, at my followup appt.

Thanks for all the support! I am still confident at this point.
rgonyer

Thursday evening, January 25th, 2007 - One week point

Postby rgonyer » Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:42 am

Definite improvement throughout the day, especially in the left eye which is no longer so far behind. I'm confident I could test much better on the eye chart this afternoon, but I don't have one here, so I won't! ;) Nothing much to report. Getting used to having the bandage contacts out now, eyes feel about normal. Still ghosting in the left, none really in the right. Right looks crisp and clear again. I'm about 75% of the way through my refresh plus 100 pack already (plus the 15 doses my doc gave me).... should have bought 3 boxes!

It seems the advice of one of the doctors that I saw was good advice - if you are already pre-disposed to dry eyes, don't do it in the dead of winter if you live in a cold place! Or if you do, make sure to stock up on artificial tears and be prepared to use them a lot ;) I have basically been using them continually, especially at work (very dry, and I use the computer most of the day). One vial allows me to dose each eye about 3 times. I know they are "single use", but I put a drop in every 15 minutes or so, so it's not like they are sitting open forever.

Probably no updates until Sunday afternoon... going out of town tomorrow afternoon for a little vacation. Have a great weekend everyone.
rgonyer

Postby jturner29 » Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:00 am

good luck to you, i will look for an update...to see how your eyes do..while i am waiting for mine to heal as well
jturner29

Farewell_

Postby mike r » Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:03 am

Have a good vacation...Hope the improvement continues...

Dont forget your "refresh fix" supply...

Dont need to be jonesing somewhere out in tooleyville usa...

I did mine during winter because of hay fever. I need to take flonase and livostin when the pollens kickin...

<mike r>
mike r

Tuesday, January 30th, 1997

Postby rgonyer » Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:22 pm

No, I didn't get lost in the wilderness of Wisconsin ;) I just got busy after we got home from our little trip out of town, and last night I had the fun experience of zapping myself with the discharge of a CRT monitor while working on my hobby (old arcade games). After that, I decided I might just be better off going to bed for the evening.... ;-) ( By the way, yes that hurts, don't ever do it.

Anyway, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday were all very similar for me. Periods of near perfect vision in both eyes, but mostly my right eye is near perfect and my left still has some ghosting, which still seems to slowly be improving. I had a few periods of very poor vision in both eyes, but those were typically following some eye abuse - Driving 4 hours in a car with the heat cranked and not able to use my drops, stayed up until 4AM one night out at a dance club, etc. So not too surprising, really ;)

In any case, the slow improvement seems to continue. Nothing exciting to add at this point. My next followup is tomorrow afternoon around 4:30, I'll try to post after I get home from that (assuming I don't electrocute myself tonight)......
rgonyer

Postby rgonyer » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:17 pm

No news is good news, right?

So far it seems that way. I wouldn't say my vision is perfect yet, and I don't think the "0" degree F and lower temps are helping anything, but ghosting is very rare now, and when it does happen it's less severe. The left eye seems to be catching up.

I still use quite a few drops, and I went back to Sams Club to try to buy another 100 pack of refresh plus, and they no longer have them! Total bummer.... they had them only two weeks ago. They were almost half the price of other places. Oh well ;)

All in all, I'm happy with the progress, and no major issues to report. I'll be 3 weeks post op this Thursday, Feb 8th.
Last edited by rgonyer on Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
rgonyer

Postby mike r » Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:14 am

Good to hear from you. Sounds like your doing well. Keep us informed of your check up. By the way when its really cold outside my eye with that tear duct plug runs like a water fountain. Its like im crying out of 1 eye and not the other. That goes well with having near and far eyesight.

Ha! Take care.. <mike r>
mike r

Postby rgonyer » Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:18 am

So do you think overall the plug has helped?

I still have ghosting out of my left eye while driving at night, but it has been so cold here the last few days (it's 3 F actual right now), so I've always got the heater in the car cranked up full blast, which means it's VERY dry in there.
rgonyer

Tear plug

Postby mike r » Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:31 am

I really cant tell if it helps or not. My ghosting has significantly improved but I dont think or feel it is the plug. Maybe it helps I really dont notice except if I said its really cold and also when I put refresh drops in. The drops fill up and run out of the plugged eye quicker than the other.
This eye thats plugged use to get red by the end of the day before the lasik now it doesnt get red really anymore and it used to feel dry to and now doesnt. What it is is a little plug with a smaller hole in it than the eye has.
mike r

Postby GodsClay » Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:57 am

I've opted to wait to get surgery until after I try out some contacts to simulate the monovision effects.

But - I've started to take Billberry - which I bought for AFTER my surgery. I have some dry eyes naturally, even without surgery - and the wintery winds and cold were doing a number on me.

But I noticed - even after one day - that the Billberry has REALLY HELPED!

I take one every morning, though you can actually take 2 a day + I also am taking 1 tablespoon daily of LIQUID Flaxseed Oil. (GNC has both of these products).

The FLaxseed Oil tastes nasty - but if you put it in with a tiny glass of orange juice, and gulp it down really quick - you don't even taste it.

Both of these I'm SURE are helping my dry eyes, which don't feel dry anymore. Like I said, I could see (pun intended) the difference almost immediately. I stare at a computer monitor most of the day, and it hit me late on the first day that my eyes didn't feel irritated/dry/tired. It was amazing!

Anyway, just a thought :) Hope it helps.

Lyn
GodsClay

Postby ssmarsh8 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:24 pm

Rgonyer, I had my PRK exactly one week after you and am still having significant ghosting in both eyes. You say yours is almost gone--can you tell me when that became the case?

Once I got my contacts out Monday 1/29, I enjoyed a few days of pretty crisp vision but by Friday 2/2 definitely started entering the regression zone. My vision has been at a stable blur since then, often getting worse by the end of the night. I think I'm seeing about 20/40, so blur isn't quite the right word--it's like things are crisp but slightly doubled. Nauseating! Some days my eyes feel pretty strained by the end of my work day at the computer. I'm kind of worried I overdid by immediately jumping back into 24/7 computers and TV. I guess if that were really an issue with healing, doctors would tell you as much. Anyway, hope in a week I'll be where you're at. :)
ssmarsh8

Postby rgonyer » Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:35 pm

Sara (I think I saw that was your name in another post?),

It's been an up and down deal... I still have ghosting once in a while, some days it's perfect, some days not - but the percentage of time that it is perfect keeps going up, although very slowly. The last several days, I feel I have had nearly no ghosting a very large percentage of the time, probably 75% would be my guess. Drops usually help when I do have the problem. Everyone heals differently and it sounds like we are both on the mend (let's hope!)

Where do you live? If you live in a cold climate, I'm sure this crazy cold snap isn't doing any wonders for our eyes. Mondays high here was 4 degrees F (Iowa), so the forced air furnace at home, and the car heater have been cranked, making for super dry air. Keep up those drops :)
rgonyer

Postby ssmarsh8 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:54 pm

Yep, you speak the truth about the cold. I'm in northeast Kansas. We're not quite as cold as you at the moment (high today got up to 20) but it's no good. My only worry is that my ghosting does NOT go away with drops, indicating it has nothing to do with dry eye. Can the changing/healing cornea be causing the ghosting?
ssmarsh8

PreviousNext

Return to Just Had It