Pinhole test

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Pinhole test

Postby ssmarsh8 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:07 pm

I am two weeks post-op custom PRK. Have experienced continual ghosting day and night, which I know is a normal part of the healing process. However I've gotten worried by posts about surgery-induced astigmatism as a cause of ghosting and want to clear up a couple things.

If most ghosting for someone at my point is caused by edema, swelling of the eye, is that in theory kind of a temporary astigmatism? I ask because when I do the pinhole test recommended to detect astigmatism (look through a pinhole in paper with one eye), I indeed can position the hole just right so that the ghosting disappears. Would this be the test result for someone with edema, or only someone with astigmatism, or do the two things simply have overlapping criteria?
ssmarsh8

Postby bada5150 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:11 pm

Hi ssmarsh8,
How do you do pinhole test? I would like to try it too.

Thank you
bada5150

Postby ssmarsh8 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:17 pm

Just poke a tiny hole in a piece of paper. Cover one eye and look through the hole with the other (in a dim room). By moving it around you might be able to find a position where ghosting disappears. I think it has something to do with post-op swelling. By limiting your vision to a tiny spot in the center of your eye, you eliminate the effects of the swelling/temporary distortion of your healing cornea. Or something like that!
ssmarsh8

Return to Just Had It