the day of lasik surgery

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

the day of lasik surgery

Postby iskolcio » Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:46 am

hello,

I've went to two consultations with good surgeons in the area. One question that I feel is important is "will you run tests on my eyes the day of the surgery, just to double check my initial numbers with your office?" surgeon#1 said, "of course, we would want to double check our numbers." and surgeon#2 said, "no we don't do any tests the day of the surgery, the tests were done within the past week." To make a long story short, i called surgeon#2's office and asked again. Their response was the same....just surgery that day. Since i like surgeon#2 better, i pressed to get my eyes examined one more time before the surgery and they agreed. Was i out of line? am i the only one who is requesting this?

Steve
iskolcio

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:31 pm

You are talking about elective microsurgery on your eyes. Verifying previous evaluations just before surgery is a common practice; as you learned this is done by doctor #1 routinely. Asking doctor #2 to do the same even if it is not his/her common practice is absolutely appropriate.

I'm glad to hear doctor #2 agreed and you will be able to receive care from the surgeon with whom you are most comfortable.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Pre surgery-

Postby mike r » Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:29 pm

I believe but Im not the expert that within the last few days leading up to procedure a great deal of drops of varying sorts could be administered...So how accurate could a last minute check truly be.
ie some drops and meds proclaim a side effect of blurry vision how much may this effect the eye physics and readings?

<mike r>
mike r

Still waiting..

Postby mike r » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:25 pm

I felt this deserved a follow through in regards to accuracy of a last minute eye checks application value after administering such a wide variety of eyedrops... that can alter ones vision...

<mike r>
mike r

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:15 am

The drops commonly administered are anti-inflammatory and antibiotic. These do not commonly change refractive error. Certain types of laser systems all but require an evaluation shortly before surgery.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It