2 weeks post-op pain?

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

2 weeks post-op pain?

Postby ssmarsh8 » Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:36 pm

Yesterday I was 2-weeks post-op custom PRK.

A few days ago I started experiencing eye pain a few times a day--the same burning/watering sensation I had to a much worse degree for the first few days. It is NOT the same as the dry eye feeling. It's more like I'll feel a surge of pain for about 10 seconds, and it kind of builds up and my eyes start watering. Then it goes away.

By the way, I am now on Econopred 3x a day and use the sterile free drops as directed.

The pain did correspond with dropping down my Econopred dose from 4x a day, so I wondered if edema/swelling can actually cause pain.
ssmarsh8

Postby ssmarsh8 » Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:43 pm

Jesus, I just saw that Econopred can cause glaucoma if used for weeks. The pain I'm having occasional is a very deep eye pain, so now I am quite worried. I've emailed the doctor but will call.
ssmarsh8

Postby ssmarsh8 » Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:05 pm

FYI, the woman at the doctor's office theorizes that the sudden temporary pain is caused by my eyelids sloughing off epithelium cells. The epithelium has healed over but is still loose, she said.

I asked about Econopred-induced glaucoma. She said I would have other symptoms such as nausea, etc., and even if I did react to Econopred that temporary glaucoma would not do permanent damage in the few weeks that I'm on it.

I also mentioned I've been noticing floaters for the first time in my life, which she adamantly said would not be caused by my PRK but that I might simply be noticing them for the first time since my vision is jacked up in multiple ways right now. I was worried because floaters also are a glaucoma symptom.

Anyway she scheduled me an appt for Monday to make sure all is well. Meantime I'm supposed to use even more sterile-free drops. I do use them every couple hours but suppose that my constant computer use might be doing more drying out than I thought.
ssmarsh8

Postby tiggy » Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:40 pm

Hi ssmarsh-

I am 4 weeks out and have had more trouble with dry eyes now than I did a few weeks ago. I think I may have that sloughing issue too. Do your eyes sometimes blur?

So I am trying to stay hydrated, use drops every 2 hours and rest my eyes periodically (difficult at work). I also have been taking flax seed oil, Vit C, evening primrose oil and wheatgrass juice (per forum). I notice that wearing my sunglasses helps- especially when using the computer- I have changed all my screens to have an non white background- that helps too.

Do you have a humidifier? I find this helps tremendously at night.
My favorite drop for when they really hurt and I have to function is Refresh celluvisc. Your eyes will blur for a few minutes then you can see again.

Keep us posted on what your doctor says-

Tigs
tiggy

Postby LasikExpert » Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:50 am

All steroid eye drops have the potential of increasing intraocular pressure (IOP), but a chemically induced IOP elevation is not glaucoma. Your doctor will be able to measure the IOP to determine if it is raised to an unacceptable level.

The theory that dry eyes are causing damage to the epithelium and thereby inducing the pain seems reasonable. You can use over-the-counter preservative-free artificial tears to keep your eyes lubricated and a lubricating gel at night as an added precaution.

The next time you experience the pain, put in a couple of drops of preservative-free artificial tears. If the pain subsides, you have a good idea the problem is related to dry eyes and/or damaged epithelium.

These are all issues that should be able to be determied at your exam Monday. Be sure to let us know what the doctor says.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby ssmarsh8 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:53 pm

Thanks for your thoughts, Tiggy. Yes my vision does sometimes blur--it seems to be worse after work, which makes sense after all the computer use. I also am doing the flax seed/vit C/vit E thing. I took a shot of wheatgrass every day for the first 2 weeks.

Anyway I saw the doctor today because of the mystery pain. He endorsed the assistant's theory that the pain is due to my eyes drying out from computer useage. However, the assistant thought my eyelids were sticking to the surface and tearing off fresh cells, while the doctor just said my eyes realize how dry they are and have a little corrective surge (the pain lasts about 10 seconds and my eyes water quite a bit). He checked my eye pressure and said it was fine. Everything else looked good. I honestly am surprised it's the dry thing because I thought I could TELL when my eyes were dry, and I wouldn't say they necessarily felt dry when these pains struck. Anyway he wants me to use the gel stuff at night now and hit the drops harder during the day.

In other news: He also mentioned that he sees no scarring on my corneas, which is great. I was able to read about half the 20/15 line with each eye, but as you all know this test doesn't accurately represent all the wacky things messing up your vision for the period after surgery. I'm 2.5 weeks post-op and my ghosting is still VERY pronounced, and up-close vision is kind of nauseating. But I feel good about the 20/15 test, since it hopefully means that very crisp vision is there waiting for me once my eyes completely heal. I was worried about my right eye, as after the surgeon scraped the epithelium my vision was so blurred that I couldn't differentiate between the blinking red light (where you're supposed to look) and the not-blinking red light. I don't know if this could have allowed the laser to be misaligned.

Sarah
ssmarsh8

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:05 am

ssmarsh8 wrote:I honestly am surprised it's the dry thing because I thought I could TELL when my eyes were dry, and I wouldn't say they necessarily felt dry when these pains struck.

Nerves that tell you your eyes are dry are disrupted during surgery. It takes a while for them to return to proper sensitivity. During the initial few months after surgery you cannot always count on your eyes telling you what you need to know.

Congrats on your otherwise good report. Maintain the dry eyes and your vision will probably be better.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby tiggy » Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:18 am

Hi ssmarsh- That is great news!!! 20/15 :)

Keep us posted!

Tigs
tiggy

Return to Just Had It