Astigmatism

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Astigmatism

Postby bada5150 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:39 pm

Hi Glenn,
I just got back from my doctor for post exam. Doctor did (one or two, which one is better test) and found out that I still have some astigmatism left on my right eye.

I am guessing that first few days, my right eye was seeing very sharp and clearly. Then is this might be induced astigmatism?

He said he doesn't want me wear glasses yet to fix this. He said that it will go away with time because my eye is still healing.

Questions:
1. Why didn't my doctor fix this astigmatism at first place? Is it because of induced astigmatism?
2. Would it get better with time while it is healing? I mean astigmatism will get better over time with healing? He told it is too early because it is only been 3 weeks.

Thank you again in advance.
bada5150

Postby bada5150 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:52 pm

Hi Glenn,
What would be cause of induced astigmatism after lasik? Epithelium ingrowth? Unbalanced healing? or it is just process?

Thank you
bada5150

Postby bada5150 » Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:02 pm

Glenn,
With astigmatism, is it possible to lose sharpness (maybe clarity) or just would see two objects (I mean ghosting but with sharpness)?

Thank you again.
bada5150

Postby LasikExpert » Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:38 am

Uncorrected moderate to mild astigmatism is more likely to cause a slight blur than ghosting. Moderately high and high astigmatism is more likely to cause ghosting.

The range varies from person to person and the size of the person's pupil will play a part because it is the outer edge of the cornea that is irregular. If the pupil is small - such as in a well lit environment - light passing through the irregular edge of the cornea would likely be blocked by the iris and never reach the retina to be "seen".
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby bada5150 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:58 am

Glenn,
Is it possible to get prescribed glasses that just fixes astigmatism?
bada5150

Postby bada5150 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:49 am

Glenn,
My blurry vision seems to worse at middle distance vision. When I see far away it doesn't really bother me but it bothers me when I see around up to 20 to 30 feets. It bothers me when I see people's face in 2 to 3 feets too.
Also, I noticed that ghosting ocurrs on light source only. Other than that, everything is blurry. Ghosting is worse at distance and ghosting goes away when I get close to light source.

Why this doesn't bother me when I see far away? Because my left eye conpensate it?

Thank you again.
bada5150

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:52 am

The optics of vision are such that astigmatism can cause ghosted or blurred vision at one range of distance, but not be noticed at another range of distance. This is the nature of most optic systems.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby bada5150 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:04 am

Glenn,
Then if my astigmatism exists after healing period, then there isn't any enhancement that I can get? I read one article regarding astigmatism and lasik. It says that lasik won't fix astigmatism and astigmatism is most hardest to fix it.
Then why my doctor said that I can get enhancement later? When there is no cure for astigmatism?
Also, I don't understand why my doctor said ok for me to have lasik when I have astigmatism?
Does lasik fix astigmatism when it fixes moypia?

Thank you again and your knowledge is very helpful for me to make my next decision. I wish I knew this website before surgery.

Thank you again.
bada5150

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:41 am

Lasik most certainly can resolve astigmatism.

Keep in mind that astigmatism is not a disease and does not need a "cure". It is simply a cornea that is not spherical. In many circumstances the cornea is able to be sculpted with a laser to create a more spherical shape. Undoubtedly your doctor believes that your astigmatism will be able to be resolved with enhancement surgery, but you will need to wait 3-6 months for your eyes to settle down before you will know for sure if enhancement surgery is appropriate for you.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby bada5150 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:42 pm

It seems like people develop astigmatism with their moypia or hyperphobia. Is it possible to develop astigmatism only without moypia or hyperphobia?

Thank you
bada5150

Return to Just Had It