Accomodative spasm?

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

Accomodative spasm?

Postby alexandro » Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:04 am

Hi Glenn,

I really think you're doing an excellent job on this forrum. Anyway, i've had conventional lasik 4 months ago. Prior to my surgery my refraction was:

Right eye (OD): -4.00 -0.75(Cyl)
Left eye (OS) : -5.00 -0.5 (Cyl)

Now :

Right eye (OD): -0.25 -1.25
Left eye (OS): - O.25 -0.25

Ever since my surgery I've been having constant Left eye strain and headaches. My Left eye muscles don't seem to relax at all. My surgeon said that the surgery was perfect and that my eye strain may be related to dry eye. I doubt this though since i deligently use my artificial tears (>5 times a day) and also since only my left eye seems to be affected by this constant spasm. I've seen another surgeon who said more or less the same thing.

My question is:

I've noticed that prior to lasik my right eye was the dominant one. After lasik my left eye has become dominant and my right eye is more or less being ignored (maybe due to blurring due to the residual astigmatism). Could this be a possible cause for my eye strain?
alexandro

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:38 am

Thanks for the kind words about our forum.

We have a detailed article about eye strain in relation to refractive surgery. Your eyes are working in a new refractive environment and may not accustomed to this new range.

Do you happen to be about age 40?
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby alexandro » Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:33 pm

Thanks for the reply Glenn,

I've read the article, however it seems to apply to presbiopia for which I'm very young (24).

My Left eye vision (the one with the strain) is excellent. My right eye is slightly blurred for both distant and near vision (possibly the residual astigmatism).

Is it possible that if I correct my right eye's astigmatism (glasses) that might take the load of my left eye and possibly relieve the strain? Or should I just give it more time in hopes that it would resolve spontaneously? I've been suffering for 4 months now, I am patient and willing to wait but only if there is light at the end of this tunnel?

Thanks a lot.
alexandro

Postby bada5150 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:08 pm

Hi Alexandro,
I have very similiar problem. My left eye is very good but my right eye is blur and sees ghosting. It has 4 weeks since surgery but I am still waiting. I don't see much change in my right eye either. I know sometimes it takes up to 6 months to fully heal.

Did see any difference in your right eye two months ago and now? Was there any improvement?
bada5150

Postby alexandro » Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:03 pm

hey Bada5150

In my case my vision fluctuated for about 2 months and then more or less stablized. I think it is genarally accepted that 3 - 6 months is the waiting period for the final results of lasik. 4 weeks is a little early. I hope you get better soon.
alexandro

Postby alexandro » Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:48 pm

Dear Glenn,

Its been exactly 4 months now since my surgery. Since my last post I've visited a regular ophthalmologist who diagnosed me with left eye latent squint (exophoria I think). He explained it as follows: It appears my previous eyeglasses prescriptions undercorrected my left leading to a very dominant right eye. Lasik completely corrected my left eye and hence my occulomotor system had to deal with and correct the latent squint hence the constant left eye strain.

One week after my visit to the ophthalmologist and all of a sudden the eye strain gone. Just like that. My four month suffering ended and I'm finally enjoying my new vision.

Previously when I looked into the mirror it appeared as if my left eye had a slight lateral deviation which no one (including my self) seemed to notice. Now it is gone!!!

I do have some dry eye and vision fluctuations early in the morning but later in the day they resolve.

I wanted to thank you for your support and tell other people out there that sometimes there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I wish you all the best.
alexandro

Return to Had It A While Ago