Lasik Procedure 4 weeks ago - Abrasion

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Lasik Procedure 4 weeks ago - Abrasion

Postby rickybobby » Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:03 pm

4 weeks ago I had lasik performed and after the procedure I was informed that I received an "abrasion" during the procedure. Since then my left eye has been extremely blurry despite putting in natural tear drops 5-10 times a day. 5 days ago I began to have a lot of pain in my eye and it felt like there was a grain of sand in it. I went back today for a follow up visit and they told me that the tear from the abrasian had opened up again and gave me antibiotic drops. I have to go back tomorrow and they said they will give me a steroid and put a soft contact lens in the eye. I can barely open my left eye, it hurts, and is very light sensitive. I'm just wondering from the experts what I can expect in the next few weeks as this thing heals.....
rickybobby

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:12 am

The abrasion probably occurred when the microkeratome passed over the cornea to make the Lasik flap. This process can rub against the epithelium (outermost layer of corneal cells), scraping some of the cells loose.

The healing process for an corneal epithelial abrasion is virtually the same as in PRK or LASEK. Discomfort to pain would be reasonable to expect. Poor to very poor vision would certainly be expected.

The doctor will be checking to be sure that the eye is otherwise healthy. The steroids can aid in healing and reduce inflammation.You may elect to use an eye patch, but this would probably not be necessary. If used the patch will keep your eye closed, protected, warm, and moist - all good things for healing.

Ask your doctor for pain medication. Don't be any more miserable than required. You may want to check if using a lubricating gel or ointment would be appropriate.

Expect several days to a few weeks of discomfort and poor vision, but this is the type of injury that tends to heal well.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby rickybobby » Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:49 pm

Glenn, thanks for the information....
I had my second follow up visit this morning. They put a contact lens over my eye with the abrasion and gave me some more natural tear drops. I put them in about every 20-30 minutes for dryness. The goal is to keep the eye moist and lubricated so the abrasion can heal. The pain in my eye is pretty much gone. It is more or less just uncomfortable right now.

I have another follow up visit in two days. They are assuring me that my vision will improve in the next week to two weeks. I'm looking forward to seeing 20/20 out of that eye. 8)
rickybobby

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:17 pm

I believe that the doctor's assurances are accurate. Corneal epithelial cells are the fastest reproducting cells in the human body.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby rickybobby » Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:39 pm

During today's follow-up visit the doctor confirmed that the abrasion is healing. The left eye is still very blurry, however I can now read text on the television. The doctor decided to leave the soft contact lens in my eye until my next follow-up four days from now.

My advice to anyone who obtains an abrasion during a Lasik procedure is to make sure you never run out of natural tears eye drops. It is extremely important to the healing process to keep the eye lubricated and moist. Using a gel type drop before bed is also recommended to keep the eye moist during sleep.
rickybobby

Postby rickybobby » Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:00 am

The finally took the contact off of my eye on Friday 2/23. My vision is much much better, but still with some hazyness out of the left eye. The difference between now and a week and a half ago is amazing. I have kept eyedrops within reach and used them religiously since I had the abrasion open up.
rickybobby

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:35 am

It is good to hear of your continued recovery. Hope and expect things to continue to get better.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Just Had It