Epi-Lasik problems

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Epi-Lasik problems

Postby poolmaniac6 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:15 am

I had Epi-Lasik 11 weeks ago and have pretty much been a total mess since. This has been a slow process and I can't seem to stop focusing on all of the issues I am having. My vision outdoors when it is sunny out is pretty good, except for some glare. It is another story indoors and at night. Main problems are ghosting and blurry vision. My surgeon keeps telling to wait and they have giving me treatment for dry eyes. My main reason for writing this is that I have noticed "streaking lights" when I blinkand if I happen to barely squint when looking at any lights, TV, computer monitor, etc. It is like the light source is a staright streak of light back to my eye. When I look at the TV and this happens it is almost like a mirrored image is between the TV and my eye. I fear that I am actually going crazy at this point. Has anyone else had this issue? I am 30 years old and had -5.25 in one eye and -4.75 in the other. I had zero astigmatism before surgery but no have less than one diopter of induced in each eye. Refraction test are close to zero as I can now see 20/20 on eye chart but it is a little blurry yet.
poolmaniac6

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:11 pm

Here is something to think about: People have fainted at the thought of being required to speak in front of a large crowd. There is no real cause for concern. The crowd is not going to attack them. The cause of the physical response of fainting is illogical fear and only fear. The point is, fear and anxiety can cause real physical problems and sometimes it is difficult to know which are caused by a surgery and which are caused by anxiety. I very highly recommend you discuss these concerns with friend, clergy, or a professional trained for such situations. You may also want to read Epi-Lasik Anxiety.

The symptoms you describe sound like an irregularity at the cornea, quite possibly normal astigmatism. Astigmatism is when the cornea is not spherical like the top of a ball, but is elliptical like the back of a spoon. In low light environments the pupil is enlarged and light passing through the "tip" of the spoon enters the eye, but is focused slightly off center. This can cause blurred vision and doubled images (ghosting). As soon as you are in a well lit environment the pupils become smaller, blocking the light passing through the corneal irregularity from reaching inside the eye, and your vision quality improves. Even a relatively small amount of astigmatism can cause the symptoms you describe.

Epi-Lasik disrupts the outermost layer of the cornea; the epithelium. At about three months postop the epithelium should have regenerated, thickened, and smoothed. If your eyes are dry, this process may have been delayed or the new epithelium could be uneven. That uneven epithelium can cause problems similar to what you describe.

I recommend that you ask your doctor for a pair of glasses that fully correcct your vision. Wear these glasses whenever the blur or ghosting is present, such as driving at night or watching TV in a room with the lights down. I suspect all vision symptoms will be resolved with glasses. If they do, then all of your problem is simple refractive error.

Wear the glasses for a while and decide if the improvement is worth having enhancement surgery. The risk is about the same the second time around, however the doctor now has a better understanding of how your eye responds. You may find that wearing glasses only ocassionally is fine for your lifestyle. If not, consider contact lenses or enhancement surgery.

It is easier said than done, but you need to be calm, cool, and collected when you make a decision about enhancement surgery. You don't want to make a poor decision because of temporary anxiety.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby poolmaniac6 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:11 am

Any chance the "streaking lights" could be caused by an ablation being too steep?? Is there such a thing and what would be problems associated with it?? When I say I see streaking lights, for example, I mean when I am driving at night it seems as though all street lights and headlights are streaking towards me everytime I blink. This can be quite annoying. Also notice this when watching TV in a dark room.
poolmaniac6

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:39 pm

If the transition zone from the fully corrected center portion of the cornea to the uncorrected outer surface of the cornea is narrow and at a sharp angle relative to the surface of the cornea, that area can bend light differently and cause vision disturbances, however the fact that this effect is associated with blinking indicates that it may be related to a dry eye issue, not an ablation issue.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby bada5150 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:00 pm

Hi poolmaniac6,
Did you get a pair of glasses yet from your doctor? I see everything blurry due to astigmatism in my right eye. Are you considering enhancement? I am very afraid of getting enhancement now since I read 20/20 both eyes (but right eye is blurry). It was driving me really crazy for few weeks and I still have some anxiety due to that. I was very worried too and lose sleep over it and didn't even feel like eating at all one point.
Still it is really hard to get through the day with blurry eye. I am hoping to get a pair of eye glasses until it is fully stablized. I don't see much fluctuations in my eyes anymore.

I hope you can calm down your anxiety and ask doctor for help analysing your eyes more carefully.
bada5150

Postby poolmaniac6 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:40 pm

No glasses yet. I am going in for an exam next week to get more test done to see what exactly is causing my problems. My right eye is really the one that is not very good. if I am in a dark or even semi-dark environment the quality of vision becomes increasingly worse in that eye. Based on that alone I am wondering how much viability should be put in the ability to see "20/20" I can see about half of the letters on that line with my right eye. One should remember that when you are in the doctors office reading the eye chart it is a controlled environment with good contrast with black letters on a white background. This is not really indicative of everyday situations. Based on how bad my vision is at night (in right eye) there is no chance I am seeing 20/20. I am almost six months and want to try contacts and glasses before an enhancement - if doc even recommends one.
poolmaniac6

Return to Just Had It