readers/magnifiers in the store

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

readers/magnifiers in the store

Postby mike r » Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:04 pm

I went in the store yesterday was trying to add some X (+)power which I was lacking to my (- )minus power... That they claimed I have...
I dont get it...I have monovision to...I put these over the counterreaders on and I have to put my face within a few inches from the testing board to see...Neither eye could clear out...But I know I have great clarity...
There are no (-) power glasses on the displays...What the hec? Dont people need the minus power supplement to?

I would nt have thought I needed more (-)minus power... I figured I was in need of more + power...
mike r

ALgebra

Postby mike r » Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:18 pm

I just thought of something. Since I failed out of algebra in HS is this an algebra stump...

A NEGATIVE TIMES A NEGATIVE EQUALS A POSITIVE???
- X - = +

which is what I need.. since I m a negative prescription???
mike r

Postby lou » Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:15 am

mike r
i don't really understand what it is you need but i'll try to help (i am an optometrist) first off + power is up close power. + will make anything outside arms distance blurry. also the power you need is dependant on age. if you are corrected for monovision then you may want to see an optometrist instead of using just over the counter readers. don't get me wrong i tell alot of my patients to use readers but for you this would be a problem b/c you need different power on each eye and readers only come with the same power in both eyes. prescribed glasses would allow you to have a pair of glasses which would correct your distance eye (temporarily) for up close and maybe give you a little more power on your near eye. A pair of glasses made this way would be perfect for long term reading or paperwork when you want to be able to use both eyes or your monovision near vision is just not clear enough. - power corrects nearsightedness and you cannot get this over the counter. if you drive alot you "could" get a pair of distance glasses that would correct your near eye to distance so you could drive with both eyes.
lou

distance

Postby mike r » Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:44 pm

Lou,

Thanks for the response. I dont need any help reading or up close only distance. Why dont they have distance glasses over the counter...I only need a blank lense and a generic distance lense like the generic reader lense. I think. But even if I had both distance lenses it may extend my distance eye even further...

I dont get why there are nt people in need of the opposite of readers which I assumed would be a minus(-) lenses the opposite...

<mike r>
mike r

Postby lou » Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:14 am

mike r
there are tons of people in need of "opposite to readers"
these people are nearsighted folks...25% of population....
however you have to go see your friendly eye doc to get that prescription.
If you have monovision correction it would be very easy to get a prescription for plano/blank in one lens and the other with the distance power you need. you can use your old frames from before your surgery and just get new lenses put in them so you won't have much cost in them.

and yes it is minus lenses that you need
lou

Postby Virginia » Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:03 pm

Lou, I have a question on readers. Right after lasik I needed 1.50. Now 3 wks post op, I seem to need 2.00. That is the strength that I was in when I wore bifocals. Will this change for a while? I like to keep a few around the house so I am not always looking for 1 pair. I don't want to purchase a bunch and not have them work after a few weeks.
Virginia

Postby lou » Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:48 am

virginia

the power of readers that you need is dependant on age and whether you had monovision lasik or not. if not...you would need a 1.50 for about 45-47 a +1.75 up to age 50. a +2.00 for 50-appx 51 and then a +2.25 till age 54 then a +2.50. all of that is approximate. I often decrease or increase the power depending on my conversation with patients. for example if you hold books/paperwork farther away then 40cm you may likely need to decrease the power of readers you need ( a lower power for the computer because it is usually farther away). This near vsion loss is constant and unless you got monovision lasik (if so ignore all of this information) the power will be constant short term and gradually need to be increased with age. readers are for close up vision only. they will make your far away vision blurry so do not drive in readers.
lou

Return to Just Had It