Dry Eyes Before Lasik

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Dry Eyes Before Lasik

Postby etess » Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:48 pm

I am scheduled to get Lasik at a very reputable place on 2/23/07. All my measurements, etc...are great. However, I have had dry eyes for years. :(

Since 1998, I have had lower plugs in my ducts. Still dry...and can't wear contacts. When I went for the lasik consult, the doctor said that he saw no evidence of dry eyes (no spots etc...). The Schimmer Test gave me a reading of 10 and 9 in my left/right eyes respectively. He said that this is moderately dry. Anything under 15 is dry.

He said that I am still a candidate...but gave me the option to put plugs in my upper ducts. I had them put in even though he said that he would expect me not to want them in forever b/c of excessive tearing. The plugs sure do help...but the tearing is annoying. I can keep them in short term...but not forever. He suggested that if I decide to go through with the surgery that I should keep all ducts plug for the months following. Makes sense to me...!

So...my question to anyone out there!

Has anyone had eyes dry like mine (not excessively dry)...and gone through with the surgery? Did your eyes eventually just go back to the level of dryness before surgery? I asked him if he could tell me if I would EVENTUALLY return to my current level of dryness...understanding that during the healing period I will be drier...but...he could not guarantee that.

I will start Restasis ... but not sure even with that that my eyes will be back to the way they are now.

Thanks!!! :(
etess

Postby LasikExpert » Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:50 pm

Predicting the future is a tricky business. Your doctor, who has had the benefit of years of training and actually examining your eyes, is unable to predict precisely what will happen regarding dry eyes after surgery.

The experience of others may have absolutely no bearing on what you will experience. You state that you have dry eyes, but by measurable standards your eyes are rather normal (with lower punctal plugs). It may be that the dry eye sensation is not actually dry eye and is something else. It may be that your sensitivity to dry eyes is elevated above the norm. Most certainly there are people who had similar rather normal eye tearing preoperatively that returned to preop levels after healing (the vast majority), but there is also the minority who remained with drier than normal eyes after Lasik.

It is possible that your eyes will return to current tearing levels after surgery, even probable, but no one will be able to guarantee anything when you are talking about microsurgery on biological material.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby etess » Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:36 pm

Thank you so much! I totally understand how doctors cannot guarantee! I appreciate your reply.

One question, do understand you correctly in that a reading of 10 is rather normal? So...it's not a huge flag to NOT have it done?

Thanks!
etess

Postby LasikExpert » Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:05 pm

A Shirmer test reading of 10 with punctal plugs could indicate that you have a tear production deficiency that is being managed with the plugs. Punctal plugs do not treat the underlying cause of tear production deficiency, however Restasis does and may be helpful. Keep in mind that Restasis does not become fully effective until about 90 days after continued use. You may get some benefit earlier, but will not get all benefit for about three months.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby etess » Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:23 pm

Thank you again!

I will start Restasis. I actually do have a prescription for it...and did start it...but gave up after a week. I KNOW that it takes along time to work...but had a hard time being consistent. I am now ready to be consistent with it...to try an treat the underlying cause.

I am also going to buy TheraTear Nutrients.

Thanks for your advice!!!
etess

Return to Thinking About It