update blurred vision

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

update blurred vision

Postby mowchowch » Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:45 am

Hi Bada
thanks for the concern. I did have my f/u appt today. Amongst all the bad winter weather we are having out here in PA today I wasnt going to miss my appt. My vision has really fluctuated alot. Yesterday even 3 ft was blurry. Today was not as bad. The doc said that I have cells that are irritated b/c of dryness. He is going to place me on Restasis. He also said that I might have to have enhancement...I will find out after we see how the restasis works. I really hope the Restasis works...I am not thrilled about the idea of needing enhancement. I guess I'll cross that road if it comes to it. I was told that if I needed glasses in the meanwhile that they would set me up with some. I'll see how things go for a while without them. The previous question that you asked Glenn about the use of glasses has me wanting to hold off on using them. You've asked some good questions on here so I havent had to ask too many after reading the answers. I'll let you know how things progress for me. I am wondering if I had the surgery done in the summer when it's not so dry if things would be different. I am learning that I wasnt so well informed about how the healing process as I would have liked to have been. Like many others on this forum...I wish I could have known about this site prior to the surgery. But anyway, this is how it is.
mowchowch

Postby bada5150 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:54 am

HI mowchowch,
I am learnning a lot from Glenn from this website. He is such a knowledable guy with awesome backgroud with very kind mind. Helping us a lot by educating us.
But enhancement still really scares me because I don't know much about enhancement. I belive that lasik is 6 months process because my aunt was having problems for more than 6 months.
But it seems like this astigmatism doesn't seem to go away for me.

If you see blurry vision, that is most likely due to your astigmatism. I hope Restasis help your dry eye problem.
Keep us updated!!!

It is just so hard to get through the day and wait with blurry vision.
bada5150

Postby mowchowch » Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:08 am

I should have asked my doc for the RX now and about the astigmatism...but I had so much on my mind at the time. Are you having problems with dry eyes much at all?
mowchowch

question for Glenn

Postby mowchowch » Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:07 pm

Glenn
Is the Restasis something that your eyes end up needed indefinitely or is there the possibility that after my eyes heal ...they will produce enouch tears without the Restasis? In other words...if you use the Restasis...do your eyes become dependant on them?

The first day after my surgery my right eye had 20/15 vision. Now it is not even close...I dont know the number but it was at least 4 or 5 lines up on the Snellen chart. Is it possible that the the dryness has caused all the worsening and if the Restasis works..I wouldnt need an enhancement on the right eye? My doctor said that some people's eyes just heal with changes of that degree. I think alot of the dryness is causing some of the problem....but if my vision in this eye was so good just after the surgery...do I risk over enhancement on that eye if I do get enhancement eventually?
I had already thought from day one that my left eye might need enhancement so I am not surprised about that one.
mowchowch

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:45 pm

It may be that your tearing function will be able to do fine without the added anti-inflammatory once the inflammation is reduced by Restasis. It is possible that you will need Restasis long-term, and it is possible that you will need it only as your eyes heal. It all depends upon how your eyes heal.

Keep in mind that Restasis does not become fully effective until about 90 days of continuous use. You can receive benefit before 90 days, but this is what the manufacturer says.

Inflammation and dry eyes could cause the loss of vision quality and quantity you describe, but it is just about impossible to know how much is inflammation (quantity), how much is dry eye (quality), and how much is residual refractive error until they inflammation and dry eye are under control. The fact that you had good vision immediately after surgery and before the inflammation and dry eyes became problematic is a very good sign.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby mowchowch » Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:39 pm

Glenn
I am hopeful that I can use the Restasis b/c I havent had any burning at all with two doses so far.
So if I am understanding this correctly, the Restasis will potentially increase my natural tear production which should decrease the inflammation occurring in my eyes?
Do you know if the Restasis is fairly effective for most people who use it? do you know if individual responses to the med varies much?

I still have a few days left to use the FML. Is it a problem to use the Restasis and FML for a few days together? I know I asked the doc about this but dont clearly remember the answer and think that he didnt make a big deal about using them both.
mowchowch

Postby LasikExpert » Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:24 pm

Restasis seems to be very effective for the people it helps, and not effective at all for those it does not. There is little middle ground. Restasis treats a narrow cause of dry eyes - inflammation around the channels that carry fluids to the eye. If inflammation is not your problem, Restasis is not going to help.

Be patient. Restasis takes 90 days to become fully effective. You may get some help earlier, but it will be three months before you get all the help Restasis can provide.

It is good to hear that you don't get the often reported brief stinging sensation upon application of Restasis. This time you are in the fortunate minority.

I know of no contraindications regarding the use of a steroid and Restasis, however your doctor would undoubtedly be a better source for this information than I.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby mowchowch » Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:54 pm

I have used the Restasis twice a day since the night of the 14th. I have not had any burning on application for any of these times. However today I did have burning that started about one hour after the Restasis application....and it has been present for several hours now. Since it is the weekend I wont call my eye doc on call about this...and I will see if the burning occurs with the 3 more applications over the weekend. The doc had told me that if I had burning with the Restasis and it lasted longer than five minutes then I wouldnt be a candidate for this med. Obviously I need to wait and see what happens for the next several applications. Do you know if the burning is not present right at the time of application.....is it not likely the Restasis? I am guessing that some burning can be from the dryness itself..right? Prior to today I have had only minimal burning with my dryness.
By the way, although I understand that the Restasis doesnt work for a period of time, the last two mornings my vision has been very good....almost great. I notice that during the day...my vision slowly worsens to sometimes very bad. I am working at a hospital and the air is incredibly dry there....I know this is causing my dryness...and poor vision. Do you think the few uses of the Restasis has improved my morning vision already? anyway I am feeling good that my vision is so good in the mornings b/c it makes me think that an enhancement might not be needed once this inflammation and dryness is resolved. I'll keep you updated.
mowchowch

Postby mowchowch » Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:34 am

I used the Restasis tonight and did not get any burning...so my guess is that my eyes were just dry earlier.
mowchowch

Postby LasikExpert » Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:21 am

Virtually all western hospitals have air conditioning and heating, which can dehydrate the air. Many hospitals have air filtration systems that can also dehydrate the air. Your work environment may be making things difficult for your eyes. The use of preservative-free artificial tears through the day can help.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Just Had It