Question about Wavefront...

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Question about Wavefront...

Postby christyj001 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:02 am

I was just reading over my consent paperwork, and the page on Wavefront-Guided Laser Vision Correction Surgery has this statement:

"The Visx Star S4 & WaveScan WaveFront System is approved for up to -6.00 D of myopia, with or without astigmatism up to -3.0 diopters."

My myopia is -8.5 on the right eye and -6.75 on the left eye. Does this mean I am not a good candidate for the Wavefront? That is what my surgeon is doing, and having read this now I am concerned I am not a good candidate. I went in last week for my pre-op consultation and had to do the wavefront scans twice because they didn't get a good scan the first time. Should I be concerned about this?
christyj001

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:53 pm

Your doctor has not updated his/her informed consent. In August 2005 Visx received approval for wavefront-guided correction up to 11.00 diopters. See Visx FDA Wavefront Approval.

If the aberrometer is unable to capture a complete scan, wavefront-guided ablation will not be possible. There are conditions, such as very small pupils, internal opacities, etc., where the wavefront diagnostic device cannot get a good reading.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby christyj001 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:13 pm

Thank you for your reply. I emailed my LASIK coordinator and he replied the same, that the consent form needs to be updated, only he say's it is approved for up to -12 myopia. I feel better knowing now that I am in the approved range.
christyj001

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:46 pm

There is a 1.00 diopter "fudge factor" when the manifest refraction (which is better, one or two) is compared to the wavefront analysis of refractive error.

Keep in mind that regression of effect with such a large correction would be expected. Your doctor may want to deliberately overcorrect you into hyperopia (farsighted, longsighted) vision and then let regression bring you back to plano (no refractive error). You may also find that enhancement surgery is required to "fine tune" the refractive error after regression settles down.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby DryEye » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:18 pm

"There is a 1.00 diopter "fudge factor" when the manifest refraction (which is better, one or two) is compared to the wavefront analysis of refractive error."
What does this mean?
DryEye

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:57 am

Wavefront-guided ablation may be performed if the prescription determined by the wavefront aberrometer is within 1.00 diopter of the prescription determined by refraction (which is better, one or two). More than 1.00 diopter is not FDA approved.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It