One-month after PRK, still ghosting

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

One-month after PRK, still ghosting

Postby ssmarsh8 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:04 pm

Thursday will be one month since my custom PRK. I am seeing 20/20 but still have significant ghosting.

I work at a computer 40 hrs a week and during the Presidents Day 3-day weekend noticed that my ghosting was mostly gone when I woke up Monday morning. I wonder whether time off the computer is what did the trick? Anyway it came back as the day progressed, and of course I'm back at the computer today, ghosting strong as ever.

I think I have read that ghosting is normal within my timeframe, but I'm worried because it's not gradually lessening over time. :( FYI I'm on my last week of Econopred, tapering off at once a day.
ssmarsh8

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:25 pm

You have probably defined a major contributor to your difficulty. Those of us who work extensively at computers do not blink our eyes nearly enough and can cause significant dry eye problems. Dry eye can cause ghosting.

It may be that a more aggressive dry eye management regimen will help you through the healing period...or you need more three-day holidays.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby ssmarsh8 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:35 pm

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately I still have ghosting seconds after putting in drops, so I figured it was more likely persistent edema causing my ghosting (?). Although the fact that ghosting is identical in both eyes might be a point for the dryness thing. It would be difficult to put in drops more than I already do. I also take flaxseed oil and vitamins. The only doctor recommendation I skipped is the nighttime ointment. I did it one night and hated how my vision was blurred by petroleum even when I awoke in the morning. Now I use gel at bedtime and tear vials throughout the day. Guess I'll try to step it up even more. Or quit my job!! If only.
ssmarsh8

Postby ksoldan » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:15 pm

ssmarch8

Can I ask if they used mitomycin during your procedure? Just wondering. Has your ghosting gotten any better? I'm considering PRK and am trying to make some contact with people who have undergone the procedure before I make my decision.

Thanks so much
ksoldan

Postby ssmarsh8 » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:23 pm

No, they didn't use mytocin C (spelling?). My ghosting all but disappeared soon after I finished my steroid drop regiment. I am now approaching 3-months post-op and the only symptom that persists is "floaters," although they seem to be lessening in frequency. Occasionally I have very slight ghosting at night due to dryness, not a big issue since at this point I only need lubricating drops once in a while, maybe once a week following a special event such as traveling by plane (very dry). You remind me I should post a summary of all this good news. I had a difficult week after PRK, and the few weeks after that included lots of drops and side effects (ghosting, floaters, dryness, random pain, eye fatigue). But now that I appear to be in the clear, I'm very relieved to know that I don't have to consider the "flap" for the rest of my life. Glad I had PRK. But I understand you're facing a very tough call, and everyone will give you plenty of advice and then say "it's up to you." Frustrating. Overall it's good you're doing so much research but seeing mostly negative posts (people post less when they have no complaints) skews your perspective on the highly effective and statistically safe operation. Best wishes--
ssmarsh8

Postby ksoldan » Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:47 pm

Thanks for the feedback and encouragement. I'm glad to hear that you are doing better. Everyone has said that recovery is both painful and longer! Sounds so great! Thinking about making this decision is exhaughting and terrifying to me at the same time but I'm about 80% sure I'm going to call Monday and make my appointment. Best wishes to you!
ksoldan

Return to Just Had It