Happy to find this site

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Happy to find this site

Postby susieQ » Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:51 pm

I slept better last night after reading posts from some of you that "Just Had It'. I had it last Wednesday, Feb. 7th, and have been experiencing some anxiety about everything. I had my 1 week check-up with my local doctor yesterday and I guess things are ok. A little background. My previous vision was horrible, -8.25 and -9.00 with +3 astigmatism. I don't think I realized that my vision was "that bad" before all of this started. I have worn gas perm. lenses for years and had good vision. Only after the aging process kicked in and I began to have trouble reading would I say that contacts weren't the "best". I went into this knowing that I wasn't a candidate for 20/20 vision and really just hoped to be able to see something when I opened my eyes each morning. After my surgery, in Lake Mary, Florida by a well known surgeon, things were pretty good. However, when I returned the next morning I was told that my left flap had a wrinkle in it. Whoa, that scared me. By the way, I elected to have mono-vision and the left eye was for near. My surgeon did a "re-float" procedure and WOW, what a difference, I was seeing really well. Had to go back the next morning to have the flap checked again and have the contact removed. I drove to the appt. from my daughter's apt. in Orlando, about a 30 min. drive. I made it fine although the distance vision was a bit blurry. When I arrived at the clinic a tech tried to remove the contact and had some difficulty doing so. She wasn't sure if it was still in or not. I really began to get a little upset at this point, by the way. A doctor came in, said she knew about the contact problem, looked into my eyes, said, yes, it's there and "GENTLY" removed it. After the fact I decided that the tech was digging in my eye for the contact. Anyway, guess what, there was still (or there was a new wrinkle) in the left flap again. So, had to go get some lunch and return for the surgeon to do the "refloat" procedure again. I felt that I couldn't see nearly as well driving to get lunch and actually became quite upset. So, I called my daughter and asked her to come with her boyfriend because I didn't think I could drive back home. Wow, can't believe I'm writing all of this, I didn't mean to even go into the "negative" portion of my experience. However, guess I need to get it off of my chest. So, I hope that ya'll will be patient with me. When it was time for the procedure I was still upset and actually crying. They were very comforting to me. In my mind, the tech trying to get the contact created this problem. I was told that it didn't create the problem and really it doesn't matter. I feel that I had a great surgeon and he took the appropriate steps to correct my problem. I read some info about this problem and it sounds like if it is corrected the out-come looks good. So, now that I've gotten all of this off of my chest I have a couple of things that I wonder if anyone else has experienced. I seem to be having some dizziness. I called my pharmacist and asked if it could be some of the drops but he says no. I went to the grocery store after my appt. yesterday and thought that I might have to call my husband to pick me up because of the dizziness. Later on last night I also felt sick to my stomach. I'm thinking that it might be the whole thing, the mono vision, the procedures, don't know. I'm kind of surprised that I am not bouncing back from this very quickly. But, on the other hand, for the first time in my life I can see. So, no more negatives!!!!!! Now, finally a couple of questions, if anyone has answers for me:
1. The dizziness issue
2. I'm still wearing the shields at night because I'm nervous about the left flap. Should I continue to wear them?
3. Is there any problem doing YOGA? I ususally do it every morning but have been modifying things like downward dog and bending over too much. Is it possible to create a strain that isn't good for my recovery?
Guess that's all for now. I'm sorry if I went on and on too much. I appreciate anyone reading my story and responding if you so desire. My best to everyone reading this.
susieQ

Postby yawny » Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:50 am

The dizziness you are experiencing is something that sometimes occurs along with nausea and headaches while trying to adjust to the monovision. Your brain has to get it all figured out, and sometimes this takes a while. I also have monovision, and had some of this both with contacts with monovision and with Lasik with monovision. As far as excercizing, I would ask your doctor, but I think after the first week normal activity is okay, and I do aerobics and work out at the gym, without any problems. Hope that this helps you.
yawny

dizziness

Postby susieQ » Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:22 am

Thanks for the reply.
susieQ

Re: Happy to find this site

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:41 am

susieQ wrote:1. The dizziness issue

As stated by another, this is undoubtedly due to adjustment to monovision. Expect this to pass as your brain understands that you want monovision and learns how to use it to your advantage.

susieQ wrote:2. I'm still wearing the shields at night because I'm nervous about the left flap. Should I continue to wear them?

It does not hurt to use the shields, but you may want to call the doctor's office and ask if it would be okay to stop using them.

susieQ wrote:3. Is there any problem doing YOGA? I ususally do it every morning but have been modifying things like downward dog and bending over too much. Is it possible to create a strain that isn't good for my recovery?

Not only should there be nothing wrong with doing yoga, but it would probably be very good for you. Hatha yoga can reduce stress.

susieQ wrote:Guess that's all for now. I'm sorry if I went on and on too much. I appreciate anyone reading my story and responding if you so desire. My best to everyone reading this.

Nothing wrong with venting your concerns. It sounds like the flap float has resolve the wrinkle problem. You may want to read about macro-striae.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Your response

Postby susieQ » Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:15 pm

Thanks so much for your response. I read the article and found it very informative. My dizziness has subsided but I am still adjusting to the mono vision. I hope that I am just impatient and that things will be better in time. My distance vision seems a little better. However, I am having trouble with seeing like the license plate in front of me if it isn't pretty close. Anyway, I am remaining optimistic and hope that in 6 months I'll be seeing great. Have a good day : )
susieQ

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:24 pm

Pretty soon you will start doing the "Monovision Wink", which is closing one eye to better see objects near and closing the other to better see objects distant.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Monovision "Wink"

Postby susieQ » Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:13 pm

Ha, I'm anxious to see what kind of response I get from the monovision "wink". Started doing yoga again this morning after reading your response. I'm reminded of how great it makes you feel. I suppose my next big step will be wearing eye make up again. Although, I'm not as bummed out about it as I thought I would be, makes getting ready to go much quicker. I wonder about removing mascara, any ladies out there have any hints about it. Seems to me it would be kind of hard on your eyes. I'm too nervous about my left flap to do anything that might create a problem. I think my eyes are getting a little better each day. I really need to be patient, but it sure is difficult. Hope all of you out there have a wonderful day.
susieQ

Return to Just Had It