Had Intralase + wavefront (~4.00 myopia, 0.75 astigmatism)

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Had Intralase + wavefront (~4.00 myopia, 0.75 astigmatism)

Postby murvaja » Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:14 am

I had Intralase 60Hz plus Custom Wavefront using the Alcon Ladarvision machine. My prescription was roughly 3.75-4.00 myopia each eye, with around 0.5-0.75 astigmatism.

The cutting of the flap was somewhat unpleasant as I felt a lot of pressure from the machine. However, it lasts only about half a minute per eye so it is not a big deal.

The hardest part of the procedure was staring at the bright light (both during flap creation and during ablation): Ladarvision requires the pupils to be dilated, and as such they were *very* sensitive to light. My eyes simply didn't want to stare at the bright red light from the laser, so the doctor kept asking me to "stare at the light" every 5 seconds :). Now I know why Ladarvision has the best 4,000 Hz tracking technology, otherwise (I guess) they would have lots of patients with complications :)

After the procedure, I was given a bunch of drops. I felt the usual burning in the eyes, but nothing bad. I waited for about 40 minutes for my ride, and I felt I could have slept there at the clinic itself (I'd only had 5 hours of sleep the night before, that sure helped).

When I got home I could barely open my eyes -- my eyelids were glued together from the drops. I had a painkiller (just in case, though it probably wasn't needed as the burning seemed to be going down already) then slept for 4 hours.

When I woke up, I had to wipe my eyes a bit till they opened. My vision was fairly good, albeit blurry and with ghosting from light sources. I could do pretty much anything at home by that point.

When I woke up the next morning -- this morning -- I was already seeing much better as the ghosting was pretty much gone and the blurriness had gone down quite a bit. I went for my followup this morning and was told I am seeing better than 20/20, though I understand this will fluctuate.

The main persisting problems are halos (I see them around all street lamps), lots of glare around light sources, and dry eyes. The latter is exacerbated by the fact that I work with a computer all day, but it is actually quite tolerable -- in fact, I am finding Lasik dry eye far more tolerable than contact-lens-induced dry eye. (For one, when my contact lenses got dry I *had* to put drops in every 15 minutes, whereas with Lasik once very hour or two is fine)

All in all, everything was very much like I expected, proof of how informative and balanced this site is. Thanks for everything Glenn! You are of great help to many people who consider the procedure every year...

-Murali

PS: I will try to post a few more times as my vision evolves.
murvaja

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:32 pm

I'm glad our website has been of assistance. Do keep us informed as you progress.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Just Had It