Lasik vs. PRK

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Lasik vs. PRK

Postby charlie-w » Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:28 pm

Hi all!

I just found this site and found a lot of useful information. I've been thinking about Lasik for several years, and finally decided to take the plunge! I made evaluation appointments with 4 different places so I could get an idea of what's available, and all said I was a good candidate- my prescription is -2.75 in both eyes, and my corneas are thick enough. However, the last doctor I saw said he would recommend PRK instead of Lasik because I have a "decentered apex" and he wanted to be more conservative. He showed me the corneal scans they did, and I saw what he was talking about. None of the other doctors mentioned this in their evaluations.

I don't think being conservative is necessarily a bad thing, but does this make sense to anyone here? Has anyone else had this done? I understand PRK will have a bit longer recovery time and be a little more uncomfortable, but I'm willing to do it if it means better results in the end. What is an "average" recovery time for PRK?

Thanks!
charlie-w

Postby LasikExpert » Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:01 am

For someone with a very low refractive error, a surface ablation technique like PRK, LASEK, or Epi-Lasik should be investigated. The vision recovery is a bit slower, but you eliminate any possibility of a Lasik flap problem during surgery or in the future.

The decentration of apex may be very slight and was not considered worrisome by the other doctors.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It