Custom Vue Intra Lasik on 2-23-07

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Custom Vue Intra Lasik on 2-23-07

Postby brian1cj » Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:40 pm

I had it done about 24 hours ago.

My vision was:

-6.00 -4.50 x 015
-5.25 -5.00 x 165 (just look at the astigmatism!)

24 hours later. I am seeing much better than I ever have with contacts, but of course not as good as I saw with glasses. Hour by hour things seem to get just a bit better.

First post-op appointment was at 9:00, about 20 hours after the procedure. I am only 20/30 in both eyes which to some may be a bad thing but I sure can't complain. They are still swollen so this is not my final result, but I hope it changes for the better and not worse. Even if it did get a bit worse, my vision is very functional.

My eyes feel fine... they are blood-filled because of the suction ring that broke blood vessels in my eye.

I am seeing starbursts but not as bad as my toric contacts. I am also seeing double/ghost images in my left eye but they are going away by the hour. The haze is maybe 60% gone. It still feels like I am looking through a piece of plastic wrap or something.

Things should get more stable as time goes on, but even if it didn't, with all side effects considered, I could definatly live the rest of my life with no regrets.

I will regularly post back and let everyone know how things go, along with a detailed experience of it all.

So far so good though.
brian1cj

Postby LasikExpert » Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:01 pm

It sounds like you are having a good result. Do keep us informed.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby brian1cj » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:56 pm

Well, it is day #4.

My next appointment isn't until March 7th, but I know I am 20/15 on the eye chart. Some small text that I knew I could barely see, I can still barely see here at the office. So I see just as good as with my glasses. That is phenominal considering where I came from, wearing glasses at 6 years old...

As I suspected, I am a bit less confident with night driving because of the halos. If I am 100 meters from a light post, the halo/starburst will extend all the way to the ground. I am not scared to drive at night, I just have to be a bit more careful and slow it down a bit. Maybe it is also throwing off my depth preception as well.

I am still on the steroid and antibiotic drops for a couple more days, then I continue to use the Refresh Plus preservitive free drops once an hour or more for an entire month, then 4 times per day until whenever. They are pretty serious about keeping it moist and so am I.

Dry eye is starting to set in, but since I am doing refresh plus like crazy they really don't have time to get dry. I also supplement with Flax and Fish oil. I started two months before the surgery and I wonder if that is partly to blame of my great result.

Computer usage is great. It may seem strange but I actually feel less strain looking at close up objects. It seems like I had to do more focusing between near and far when I had my old prescription. I almost think that computer screens look a bit bigger. Maybe it is just my imagination.

So... as far as the actual procedure, I think the intralase machine is a whole lot scarier than the excimer laser. The suction ring hurt my eyes... the pressure was really freaking me out and making me very uncomfortable. I felt it the next day... slight headache and my eyes were puffy and swollen. The intralase machine is kinda violent if you think about it, but for precision, it is worth it.

I am following the healing process 100%. I rested for two days before I started using my vision, and never missed a drop before or after the procedure. I havent washed my eyes with any face soap or anything yet. I havent rubbed them or touched them.

After all, this is the vision for the rest of my life.
brian1cj

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:41 am

brian1cj wrote:I almost think that computer screens look a bit bigger.

Your computer may be bigger to your new eyes. Glasses tend to minify objects because the entire width of the visual field must fit within the width of the glasses. Going from glasses to Lasik can create the effect of things looking larger. You will undoubtedly become accustomed to this very quickly.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby brian1cj » Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:13 pm

Today I had my two week post op appointment. It has actually been 12 days though.

So here is the scoop:

- 20/15 in both eyes.

- Flaps healing better than average because I'm going crazy with the Refresh Plus (once an hour or more and if I wake up during the night)

- Issues of dry eye have already gone away. Sometimes it is hard to remember to use the Refresh Plus because I feel like I don't need it, but will continue to use it regularly for at least six months.

- No discomfort, pain, or issues with physical feeling of the eyes

- No eye fatigue at the end of the day

- No double images or shadowing/ghosting of text.

- Halos are still large and in charge but they are less intense, so driving at night has improved but is still somewhat scary. I get worn out after about 30 minutes of night driving because I have developed a squinting habit that makes the halos a lot smaller.

- Did I mention I have 20/15 in both eyes??

So there it is. My next appointment is in three months.

My routine for healing is working out well. I try to drink 1 gallon of water per day (.5 at at minimum), eat healthy (high protien lean meats, fresh veggies, and a small amount of high fiber carbs), supplement with flax and fish oil, use Refresh Plus preservative free drops about once per hour, no rubbing or touching of the eyes or eye lids and no soap/water in the eyes during showers. I wash my face seperate (cetaphil only) so I can be extra careful around my eyes.

My doctor doesnt know about all this extra stuff I do to help the healing process (if it even helps at all) but today he mentioned that I am healing faster than normal and he says that is the reason I can see 20/15 and no ghosting of text. Doctors will of course always say positive things to make patients feel better, but I think I am doing better than average.

I am still 100% satisfied and have absolutely no regrets.
brian1cj

Postby brian1cj » Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:16 pm

Hi Guys/Gals,

It has been one month and a day at this point. Things are going well. I still have halos/glare, as expected, but I am still 20/15 in both eyes.

Very little dryness. No discomfort at all.

Unless anyone has any questions, this is my last post in this section. I will update again at my three month visit in the "Had it a while ago" section.
brian1cj

Postby LasikExpert » Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:32 pm

We'll see you then. Don't forget us!
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Just Had It