day after lasik - questions red patch and washing eyes

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

day after lasik - questions red patch and washing eyes

Postby etess » Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:31 am

Hello! I just had lasik yesterday. For those of you that read my other post on dry eyes before lasik...I decided to go through with it. I was terrified....but did OK!

I can see very well...with the exception of some blurriness up close.

Anyway...two questions!

1. I have been putting in the drops and not rubbing my eyes. As a result, I have a lot of eye drop drainage around my eye and on my eyelashes. Should I leave it there.....until I go to my first follow-up...which will be on Monday (2/26). I would like to clean around my eyes...but not sure that I should....especially my eye lashes!

2. I have some red patches on the whites of my eye. Is this from the trauma from surgery? When will this go away? It will go away...right!?

Thanks!!!

Erika
etess

Re: day after lasik - questions red patch and washing eyes

Postby LasikExpert » Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:40 am

Congrats on your good outcome!

etess wrote:1. I have been putting in the drops and not rubbing my eyes. As a result, I have a lot of eye drop drainage around my eye and on my eyelashes. Should I leave it there.....until I go to my first follow-up...which will be on Monday (2/26). I would like to clean around my eyes...but not sure that I should....especially my eye lashes!

Check with your doctor if you can flood your eyes with artificial tears, close your eyes, and gently rub your eye lashes with a clean finger to dislodge the buildup.

etess wrote:2. I have some red patches on the whites of my eye. Is this from the trauma from surgery? When will this go away? It will go away...right!?

This is probably a bruse from the microkeratome that will look terrible, but will resolve on its own. Be sure to verify with your doctor.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby Button1 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:02 am

Those red patches are the best part of LASIK...I used to hold my eyelids up and scare my coworkers. :wink:

But, yes, after a few weeks, they go away.
Button1

Postby etess » Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:38 pm

Thanks! I did call the surgeon on call last night. Hated to bother them....but wanted to know for sure! He said that the Intralase machine caused the red patches. So, Glenn...I assume this is what you were talking about....and he said that it may get worse before better...and that it may take up to 3-4 weeks to go away. I'm cool with that!

Also, the surgeon said that I could use a q-tip to GENTLY wipe away the residue from underkneath my eyes....and to take a moist cloth to my eye lashes and then GENTLY loosen the residue. He also said that I could leave it there if I wanted until my 72 hour check up....He emphasized to me not to put pressure on my eye lid.

Anyway....it worked...I cleaned up a little! :-)

Erika
etess

Postby brian1cj » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:21 pm

The intralase machine did it pretty bad to me... I have almost a half a ring of red around one cornea, and the whole top of my eye on the other. I asked about it too... basically the white suction ring (the thing that makes your vison black out and prevents the eye from moving before the laser makes the flap) breaks blood vessels in the eye. The same effect can be achieved by sneezing, coughing, or vomiting hard enough. Broken eye blood vessels take a while to go away because your eyeball has to absorb the blood. Medical websites say 10-14 days. I'm sure the violent pressure from the machine has something to do with it also. I thought my head was going to go through the back of the chair!
brian1cj

Postby Button1 » Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:53 am

brian1cj wrote:The intralase machine did it pretty bad to me... I have almost a half a ring of red around one cornea, and the whole top of my eye on the other. I asked about it too... basically the white suction ring (the thing that makes your vison black out and prevents the eye from moving before the laser makes the flap) breaks blood vessels in the eye. The same effect can be achieved by sneezing, coughing, or vomiting hard enough. Broken eye blood vessels take a while to go away because your eyeball has to absorb the blood. Medical websites say 10-14 days. I'm sure the violent pressure from the machine has something to do with it also. I thought my head was going to go through the back of the chair!

I'm glad you said this because I felt the same way...thought it was quite painful, actually!
Button1

Postby maria22 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:37 am

Oh yeah, that pressure.....
I was soooo scared when i saw the red spot in my eye....it took about 3 weeks to clear up completely!

During the first few weeks after Lasik, I had to clean my eyes/ eyelashes from the heavy built-up every nicht. My doc told he to boil some water and let it cool down a little and then use a Qtip or a washcloth. That worked just fine. My eyes alwys felt a lot better after the washing!
maria22

Return to Just Had It