prk- residual astigmatism

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

prk- residual astigmatism

Postby tiggy » Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:17 am

Hi there- I am 6 weeks post-prk.

My left eye is 2020 +3 from the 20/15 line.
My right eye is 20/32 but, I have an astigmatism reading of 1.5
I am still on steroid drops 3x a day.
Are there any cases were astigmatism has improved significantly after 6 weeks?

On the positive side- my corneas are crystal clear and you can't even tell I had surgery. Plus the dry eye is improving each week:)

TIA-Tigs
tiggy

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:34 am

If the 1.50 diopter astigmatism is due to corneal edema (inflammation), then it is possible it will resolve with healing. If it is residual or induced astigmatism, then it is not likely it will resolve on its own. You may want to discuss CLAPIKS with your doctor to see if this is an appropriate method to help resolve the astigmatism.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby tiggy » Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:54 am

Hi Glenn-

Hmmm......sounds interesting.

I know that my right eye reacted badly to the first bandage contact which was too tight. My eye swelled shut. Ouch!
Contacts tend to suction on to my eye and irritate my cornea. At first they look like a good fit then after a few hours they are too tight. Probably due to cornea swelling??

My right eye had 3.25 astigmatism and I knew I was at the edge of what they can do with PRK. So if I need a touch up I would not be suprised.
OD -7 + 3.25
OS -7.75 + 2.75

Thanks for the quick response. I appreciate all the info on this site.
tiggy

Postby bada5150 » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:47 pm

Hi Tiggy,
I am just wondering if your astigmatism is bothering your vision. I have -.75 of astigmatism on my right eye and it gives me headache and bothers me a lot. I would say I am not seeing things right.

Did you get a pair of glasses to correct your astigmatism?

Thank you
bada5150

Postby DryEye » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:33 pm

Bada:
What did your second opinion person say?
Do you think you will do an enhancement later this year if need be?
DryEye

Postby bada5150 » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:15 pm

My second opinion doctor told me that I have to have enhancement most likely. It should be done this summer after my eye get totally stablized. But he said there are cases where it resolves its own after 6 months period of healing time.
bada5150

Postby DryEye » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:16 pm

So waiting is better (maybe up to a year?) to see final result and then decide?
DryEye

Postby tiggy » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:02 pm

Hi bada,

Yes, my astigmatism bothers me. I am only 6 weeks postop so I guess I am feeling more tolerant of change right now since I expect it. The difference between each eye is what gets to me. I notice this alot more at work than I do when I am out and about.

I would not be suprised if I need an enhancement. My doctor won't do any corrections unitl 6 months post op since he has seen significant changes in some people up until then.

Right now I am still on FML 3x a day.

How far along are you?

Tigs
tiggy

Postby bada5150 » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:15 pm

I am 6 weeks and 2 days postop too. I had lasik, not PRK. I totally understand you. I notice this astigmatism a lot more at work than I do when I am out. Also, difference between each eye is what really gets to me too.
Sad thing is that I don't see much fluctuation in my right eye. So I am not sure if this will resolve its own. I am scared of enhancement.....

I hope all of us resolve its own.
bada5150

Postby tiggy » Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:20 pm

Bada-

If I had .5 astigmatism I would be leary of enhancement too. Honestly it is way to early to make any decisions.

I try to give my eyes a 'break' during the day by looking far away or closing them for 5 minutes. This week I am going to try heated rice baggies to soothe them. I think that doing anything to keep yourself going and to remember you are still healing for a major surgical technique. I think people realize that your body has had a major trauma and is healing for months. Plus your brain has to adjust to your new vision if it is different from your glasses script.

Hang in there! This will sort itself out. I am hoping we are both close to no astigmatism in a couple months!

Tigs
tiggy

Return to Just Had It