Lasik scheduled for March 7th have questions

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Lasik scheduled for March 7th have questions

Postby lkestler » Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:13 pm

I had my pre-op visit last week and scheduled Lasik for March 7th. The surgeon has done thousands of procedures and is a board certified opthamalogist who specialized in Refractive surgery. I did not think to ask for my prescription numbers when I was there but this was my prescription last year:

Right eye -8.0 with -0.5 astigmatism and an axis of 130
Left eye -7.75 with -1 astigmatism and an axis of 10

The laser the doctor suggested was the LADARVision Flying spot. He also said there is about a 10% chance I might have to have an enhancement later on.

He also said I have good moisture contact in my eyes and I have really never had trouble with dry eyes when wearing contacts. I have been wearing contacts since I was 12 years old and for several of those years wore the gas permeable contacts.

I am pretty anxious about the procedure and worry about chronic dry eyes as I have been reading horror stories on the internet.

Can someone give me their views on given my prescription numbers how safe it is to have this done and if the doctor has chosen the right laser for me?

Also, I am 29 years old if that makes a difference. I started wearing glasses when I was 8. I am so ready to not have to deal with glasses and contacts.

Thank you for any advice you can offer.

Lisa

P.S. Also how many people take the medication that is offered before the procedure to calm the nerves? I don't want to be completely loopy but I am worried about being tense.
lkestler

Re: Lasik scheduled for March 7th have questions

Postby LasikExpert » Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:08 pm

lkestler wrote:I had my pre-op visit last week and scheduled Lasik for March 7th. The surgeon has done thousands of procedures and is a board certified opthamalogist who specialized in Refractive surgery. I did not think to ask for my prescription numbers when I was there but this was my prescription last year:

Right eye -8.0 with -0.5 astigmatism and an axis of 130
Left eye -7.75 with -1 astigmatism and an axis of 10

Your myopia (nearsighted, shortsighted vision) is relatively high. Your astigmatism is relatively low.

lkestler wrote:The laser the doctor suggested was the LADARVision Flying spot. He also said there is about a 10% chance I might have to have an enhancement later on.

Your refractive error is within the treatment range of the alcon LADARVision laser. Regression is likely. The doctor may deliberately overcorrect you to resolve final regression.

lkestler wrote:He also said I have good moisture contact in my eyes and I have really never had trouble with dry eyes when wearing contacts. I have been wearing contacts since I was 12 years old and for several of those years wore the gas permeable contacts.

That is good news. A temporary period of dry eyes managed by artifical tears is relatively common after Lasik.

lkestler wrote:I am pretty anxious about the procedure and worry about chronic dry eyes as I have been reading horror stories on the internet.

Long term dry eyes is a possibility after Lasik, however it appears that there is nothing to indicate that you are at an elevated risk.

lkestler wrote:P.S. Also how many people take the medication that is offered before the procedure to calm the nerves?

In my opinion, not enough. If you are offered the meds, take them. Bein anxious does nothing to improve your outcome. You may as well be relaxed. Well, as relaxed as you can be.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Re: Another question

Postby lkestler » Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:25 pm

Is it a good thing that my astigmatisim is low? Also, I have read that if the cornea is too thin there is a higher risk for complications. Would they have told me if I had a thin cornea?

Thank you for providing this website. It is a wonderful source of information.

Lisa
lkestler

Postby LasikExpert » Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:59 pm

Yes, low astigmatism is a very good thing. Astigmatism is when the cornea is not spherical like the top of a ball, but is elliptical like the back of a spoon. You have a very small spoon.

A minimum of 250 microns of cornea must remain untouched for a healthy cornea to remain stable. More is always better. Your doctor is able to measure the thickness of the cornea before surgery and the laser computer system will determine the amount of cornea that will be removed to effect the correction needed. The variables are the thickness of the flap (generally 10-30 micron variable) and the amount of additional tissue that would need to be removed if you require Lasik enhancement surgery.

Your doctor will be able to determine if corneal thickness is an issue and you should discuss this with him/her.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby bbarnard » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:21 pm

My vision was almost where yours is (-6.5 and -7.5) and my astigmatism was worse. I had my procedure done about a week ago (check the just had it done board for more info). I had the intralase method (laser flap). Like you I was very anxious. I took the meds but noticed no effect on my anxiety. Still I made it through and I worry about EVERYTHING. If nothing else it will help you sleep later after the procedure. I'm probably seeing around 20/30ish right now. My follow up is 3/9 so I'll know more then. Like you I had been wearing glasses since I was 8. I'm now 54. I do have to wear reading glasses (I did NOT do monovision even though I had successfully worn monovision contacts for 5+ years). So far things seem pretty good. Getting up and seeing across the bedroom that first morning was an incredible experience after 46 years of poor vision.

Good luck with your procedure.
bbarnard

Re: bbarnard

Postby lkestler » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:46 am

Thank you very much for your reply. Can I ask if you had any side effects after the procedure and how bad you had dry eyes? Besides the procedure itself, this is what I am most worried about. Thanks.
lkestler

Re: bbarnard

Postby bbarnard » Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:58 pm

lkestler wrote:Thank you very much for your reply. Can I ask if you had any side effects after the procedure and how bad you had dry eyes? Besides the procedure itself, this is what I am most worried about. Thanks.

So far no real side effects. I have a little starburst with car lights at night but really not significantly different than with contacts.

My eyes were dry but I was very faithful with my drop regimen for the first week. Did exactly as the doctor told me, one drop of antibiotic four times a day followed by steroid anti swelling drops shortly after that for a week (both). Also artificial tears for a week every hour. Yesterday was my first day without the anitbiotics and steroids. Used 2 refresh vials yesterday so I'd say I was in pretty good shape. No tears yet this AM. I think this is something that is likely to be highly variable and personal. I never had a problem with dry eyes before although my eyes would get scratchy if my contacts were left in for a while.
bbarnard

Return to Thinking About It