experienced doc, new to equipment safe?

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

experienced doc, new to equipment safe?

Postby jmjohall » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:56 pm

I am scheduled for lasik in March. The doc has 2 offices where he does everything from exams to surgery. Been in business 20 years and is certified board of opthalmology, fellow american acacdemy of opthalmology, member ky academy of eye physicians and surgeons. He is one of 20 docs going in on this new intralase machine and i will be one of his first, but he has done many with the microkeratome and he is certified to use intralase. Give me your thoughts on the fact that lasik isnt the only thing he does and the fact that i will be one of his first patients using the new intralase. As you probably guessed I am getting a great reduction in cost which I would otherwise not be able to afford.
jmjohall

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:17 pm

As a general rule, even an accomplished surgeon is a rookie with new technology or new technique. The difference between a mechanical microkeratome and a femtosecond laser microkeratome such as the Intralase is significant. There really is nothing else like a femtosecond laser. Allowing the doctor to refine his/her technique under the fellowship of another more knowledgeable surgeon before having surgery yourself would be wise.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby jmjohall » Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:45 am

He is certified to use the intralase. what does it take to get certified?
jmjohall

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:03 am

I do not know all of the specifics of the full course to become certified on the Intralase femtosecond laser. To become certified on an excimer laser (the one that removes the tissue for Lasik) the doctor takes a course that can be completed in a weekend.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It