went for first check up after lasik results...

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

went for first check up after lasik results...

Postby yvonne1961 » Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:52 am

Went to Dr. today, my vision is 20/20 right eye and 20/25 left ...I continue with poor mid range vision, which is not exactly presbyopia...he says it may take up to 3 months to improve. I will wait and see the outcome, but right now Im not a happy camper, this is really uncomfortable....if anybody has gone thru the same situation pls let me know the results... Glen what do you think? :roll:

yvonne
yvonne1961

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:49 pm

Having poor mid vision is undoubtedly because of the difference between the two eyes. Although your doctor only provided the Snellen 20/whatever results, the fact that they are not the same is a clue. Presbyopia is surely playing its part too.

Your 20/20 eye is “plano”, which means no refractive error. This eye has the best distance vision. For someone who is at or over about age 40 and is presbyopic, this means that eye can see objects that are about 10-20 feet away and to the horizon.

Your 20/25 eye is probably undercorrected and slightly myopic (nearsighted, shortsighted). For someone who is presbyopic this means that eye can see objects near, but objects distant will be blurred.

The combination of one eye set for distance and one eye set for near is called monovision and is a common technique to work around the effects of presbyopia. For details, read Lasik Monovision.

For many people the brain eventually understands what is happening and learns how to use the imbalance to your advantage. When an object is near, the brain primarily uses images from the nearsighted eye. When the object is distant the brain primarily uses the image from the eye that is fully corrected for distance.

The problem is during the transition the brain does not exactly know what is happening. We recommend people try monovision in contact lenses for at least six weeks before making a decision.

If it works, monovision is an excellent method to reduce the need for reading glasses. If it does not work it can cause poor vision, nausea, headaches, poor depth perception, and other symptoms of aniseikonia.

If after three months you have not adjusted to the monovision, I recommend that you try contact lenses that will fully correct the undercorrected eye. Although you may not like the effect of monovision, you may like the effect of full distance correction even less. You would become fully dependant upon reading glasses to see anything near.

Monovision is a lifestyle choice and everyone is different. You will know if you like it at about the same time enhancement surgery would be appropriate. By trying full correction in contact lenses before making a decision about surgery you will better understand what to expect.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Just Had It