Monovision vs. non monovision lasik

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Monovision vs. non monovision lasik

Postby Virginia » Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:20 am

Glenn, It seems from my prescription post lasik that I was corrected with monovision. You even said I was in one of my other posting. I was not made aware that he was correcting me in monovision. I still don't have perfect vision and wonder if this is maybe the best it will be because I ended up with monovision. Am wondering why he would correct me this way and not tell me it was monovision. Can an enhancement change this back?? Probably not, right?? I have my 5 wk.check with the physician that co-manages with my surgeon. The strange thing is that my regular doctor is not a big fan of lasik monovision. I don't understand it. Frustrating.
Virginia

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:48 am

It may be that it was not your doctor's intent that you have monovision, but monovision was the result.

You were myopic (nearsighted, shortsighted) before surgery. Your prescription (from another post) is moderately myopic in one eye and slightly myopic in the other. This gives you monovision, but your eye that should be fully corrected is not quite fully corrected. This can contribute to poor distance vision, but will give you better near vision.

Your undercorrected eye is 2.50 diopters myopic, which is a bit much for monovision. Some people prefer this level of myopia, but it seems that most people go for less than 2.00 diopters myopia.

You also had significant astigmatism before surgery and I believe your doctor mentioned enhancement surgery would be a possibility. Enhancement surgery would likely be able to resolve your current myopia in both eyes, but don't be too anxious to become plano (no refractive error). That will mean your near vision will suffer the full effects of presbyopia. Your doctor may be able to fit you with contact lenses to give you no monovision and/or less monovision to try.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby Virginia » Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:09 am

Glenn, I misinformed you on my post lasik prescription. After seeing my doctor today he gave me the correction. OD; +1.25 Sph. OS; -0.50+1.00x035. He told me that my right eye has no astigmatism but is a bit over corrected. He suggests that I wait another 2 months and see him at that time. If the rt. eye doesn't change for the better, we may do enhancement. I asked if it is more difficult to basically make that eye that now is too flat more rounded. He said that it was harder to fix an over correction but thinks it can be done. He said my middle vision would improve too. At todays visit I was OD; 20/30 and OS; 20/25. Over all I am 20/25. One month ago I was 20/20. What are your thoughts on my odds of success with enhancement in the rt. eye only? I thought I read somewhere that it is difficult to fix an overcorrection. Thank you once again.
Virginia

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:48 am

Correcting an overcorrection is not the issue. What is the issue is what refractive error needs to be corrected. Whether it is natural or induced by missing the target, it is the refractive error that needs to be considered. In your case you have moderate hyperopia in your right eye and a tiny bit of myopia with astigmatism in your left.

Correcting hyperopia is more challenging than correcting myopia, but the combination of hyperopia and presbyopia can yield poor vision quality at all distances. The imbalance between one eye hyperopic and one eye myopic can cause very poor vision quality and even some dizziness and headaches. You will probably be very motivated to get this corrected or at least improved.

You need to discuss in detail with your doctor the probability of hyperopic enhancement surgery resolving your right eye's refractive error. I would only be guessing, whereas your surgeon has the qualifications and has examined you.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby Virginia » Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:15 pm

Thanks Glenn, That totally explains my symptoms. Just wish my primary doctor was not making me wait for another 2 months to see my surgeon. In your opinion is that longer than most wait? It will be over 3 months before I see my surgeon and probably weeks after that before I actually have it done. Now that we agree that correcting this is more difficult, what are my odds of a good outcome? What happens to my vision if he can't fix it? How often does this happen to other people? Sorry for the multitude of questions!
Virginia

Postby Virginia » Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:33 pm

Glenn, Can you direct me to the article that talks about my refractive error situation and the type of enhancement they will need to do. I won 't need a natural lens replacement will I?? Is what happened common or did he lazer too much??
Virginia

Return to Just Had It