PRK concerns

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

PRK concerns

Postby alicensam » Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:08 pm

Hi,
I have been reading this forum for a little while and I finally decided to ask some of my own questions. I went in last week for a consultation exam and was told that my corneas were too thin and that I would not be a candidate for lasik but I would be a candidate for prk. I have been reading a lot of different things in this forum but I still seem a little uneasy about having it done. One of the main concerns I have is how long it takes to heal. I don't mind the 5-7 day healing process but my concern is that it takes 6 months or so for your eyes to fully adjust themselves. I was wondering from others who have had this procedure how well are you able to function in that time frame? Can you see well enough without glasses or contacts to function? I ask these questions because I have a prescription of left eye -7 and right eye -6.5 with astigmatism. I also wanted to know how well of an improvement can be made for my vision. I know getting 'perfect' vision is an unrealistic goal but will I be able to achieve vision well enough to function without glasses? I don't want to have it done unless its going to really help me. I've had glasses since the 4th grade and now I'm 35.
Also, I get migraine headaches on occasion and I was wondering if laser eye surgery can affect the frequency or intensity of them? I don't want to have it done if its going to cause me to get them more often than I already do. I also haven't seen much info on stats for Prk surgery. I know its been around longer but all I read about now is lasik.
I still haven't scheduled a date to get this done and I'm going to go to another place and talk to them about prk so that maybe they can help put me at ease. Thanks
alicensam

Re: PRK concerns

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:07 am

alicensam wrote:I don't mind the 5-7 day healing process but my concern is that it takes 6 months or so for your eyes to fully adjust themselves.

It would be very unlikely that you would not be able to function for 6 months. I personally had a very difficult time after my PRK (my fault, I didn't follow my doctor's instructions) and I was able to function within a few weeks.

alicensam wrote:I also wanted to know how well of an improvement can be made for my vision. I know getting 'perfect' vision is an unrealistic goal but will I be able to achieve vision well enough to function without glasses?

This appears to be a realistic goal. Your prescription is within the range for full correction.

alicensam wrote:Also, I get migraine headaches on occasion and I was wondering if laser eye surgery can affect the frequency or intensity of them?

If you take medication for migraines, be sure to tell your surgeon. Some migraine medicine can change the way the cornea responds to the laser. The treatment plan would need to reflect this possibility.

If your migraines are vascular, there should be no difference after the healing period, but you need to affirm this with your surgeon and your general doctor.

alicensam wrote:I also haven't seen much info on stats for Prk surgery. I know its been around longer but all I read about now is lasik.

Outcomes are virtually the same, however there is an indication that PRK has a slightly better outcome. A major advantage of PRK is that there is no Lasik flap. No flap means no possibility of a Lasik flap related complication during surgery or during the patient's lifetime. Lasik flap complications are relatively rare, but not possible is almost always better than not probable.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby ssmarsh8 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:58 pm

I had custom PRK on Jan. 25. Before surgery I was mildly nearsighted (-2.0) and was a Lasik candidate. I chose PRK to avoid the Lasik flap incision.

The first week was very difficult. The month following that I was completely functional but had serious "ghosting" in both eyes.

In just the past week since I finished my post-op eye drop meds, the ghosting has decreased considerably.

For what it's worth I had the surgery on a Thursday and went back to work (with some difficulty) the following Wednesday. Best of luck.
ssmarsh8

Return to Thinking About It