Maximum nearsightedness for PRK

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Maximum nearsightedness for PRK

Postby bthrel » Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:49 am

I have been researching the various methods for surgery and have come to the conclusion that PRK may suite my lifestyle the best in its lack of a flap. However, I am concerned that my vision is too bad for the procedure: -3.00; -3.25 What is the maximum prescription before the chance of corneal haze develops?
bthrel

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:06 pm

The general rule of thumb is that correction of over 6.00 diopters is the point at which corneal haze becomes problematic with PRK. You are well under that level.

Something that you can do to reduce ever further the probability of corneal haze with PRK is to take 500mg of vitamin C twice a day for one week before surgery and for at least two weeks after surgery, plus wear 100% UVA and UVB blocking sunglasses if you even think of going outside. This has been shown to reduce the probability of corneal haze to about zero.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It