Presbyopia

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Presbyopia

Postby Betty39 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:24 am

So Glenn, what happens in a person like me who has the surgery and doesn't get the sudden presbyopia?
I am 39 so I know it's coming sometime but the surgery didn't induce it. So now what happens as I age? Will I lose the mid vision that some are talking about? Will it be gradual like people who don't get lasik? My doctor said he slightly undercorrected me in my non dominant eye. But I see just as well as I do with my distance eye and see no difference in the two eyes up close or far away. So for me is it going to be just getting the magnifiers in the drug store or will it be a difficult process? I had no problem reading tiny print before surgery with my contacts and I have no problem now either with reading.
Just wondering.
Betty39

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:51 am

You will progress into presbyopia just as "normal" sighted people do. It is gradual. It is going to likely affect near vision first - you will be holding the menus farther away. You will probably use reading glasses available at your local pharmacy and over the years you will need stronger power to see objects near.

You likely have years before this will be a problem, and your doctor's slight undercorrection in your non-dominant eye will delay the full effect even longer. What you may first notice is that your distance vision in your nondominant eye becomes slightly less crisp, but you can see near objects better in that eye.

Let's hope your dry eye continues to resolve.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby Betty39 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:43 am

Thanks again Glenn for your quick reply :)
I hope the dry eye does resolve. I feel so sad cause other than that I would have had that 20 minute miracle, my vision is so good.
Hopefully in more time.
Betty39

Postby johnson1615 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:04 pm

I expected the sudden loss of close vision too and so far still have both near and far!
I am 44 and could see close up with my glasses but needed readers when I wore contacts so this was a big surprise to still be able to see. Good Luck!
johnson1615

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:04 pm

Sudden Presbyopia does not affect everyone in that particular age range. It is something for which you want to prepare, but there is no guarantee that it will occur.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Just Had It