Monovision-- Lasik in One Eye?

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Monovision-- Lasik in One Eye?

Postby johnson1615 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:58 pm

My husband is considering having lasik done.
He is 51 and currently wears either bifocals or contacts w/ reading glasses.

He went for a consultation and was advised that they would only have to do lasik on one eye. This would be to correct the distance in that eye. His other eye would be left as is to be used for close up work-- i.e. reading, etc.

Currently his contacts are both 2.5 in strength. Is it common when under-correcting an eye for monovision to leave it this nearsighted?

For the next few days he is going to try monovision with just wearing one contact to see if he can adjust......

Glenn, your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
johnson1615

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:07 am

If you have not already, have your husband read about Lasik monovision.

In my opinion (and I'm not a doctor) 2.50 diopters for near vision is a bit much, but the opinion that matters most is the opinion of your husband. He can wear a fully correcting contact lens in his distance eye to see if this level of monovision is appropriate for him. I do know of people who prefer this much monovision, but your husband can try it and determine for himself.

If only correcting the distance eye does not work for him, he should try contacts that undercorrect his near eye until he finds the balance he likes. Then the surgeon would know what to target and can advise.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It