Can this be???

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

Can this be???

Postby 2ndguessing » Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:41 pm

I had Lasik 10/06 and regressed in two days, got stabilized and had an enhancement 1/07 and started to regress in two weeks. Now I see double or ghosting on everything past about 10-12ft. but was told two weeks ago that I'm seeing 20/20 on the chart. My reply was "I don't know how because in the real world I am not." I was told to wait a while longer to see if things improve, which it has not. Just for grins, I put on my glasses from just before the enhancement and actually see pretty good out of the right eye so in my opinion I need glasses again. I have lower tear duct plugs, have done all instructions and meds exactly as directed and am of course very frustrated and for me this was a huge emotional and financial mistake but my question is: can you see 20/20 on the eye chart and not see right in the real world? Would this be a case of HOA? If so, can you get lenses that can correct for this? I just want a pair of glasses that will allow me to see 20/20 and go on with my life and try to forget this whole incident. Thanks for any help...
2ndguessing

Re: Can this be???

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:10 pm

2ndguessing wrote:...my question is: can you see 20/20 on the eye chart and not see right in the real world?

Absolutely. The Snellen 20/Whatever test is about vision acuity, not vision quality. It is familiar black letters with sharp edges on a white background in a controlled lighting environment. It may be the standard vision test, but it is very limited.

2ndguessing wrote:Would this be a case of HOA?

Possibly, but the fact that glasses improved your vision indicates that this is simple refractive error (Lower Order Aberrations).

2ndguessing wrote:If so, can you get lenses that can correct for this?

It appears that you could get lenses that would improve your vision, but before you give up and go back to glasses, you need to get a second opinion from another refractive surgeon. It may be that enhancement Lasik surgery (yes, another) would be appropriate. If you do opt for lenses, you may find that contacts provide the optimum vision quality.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby 2ndguessing » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:44 pm

Thanks for your reply.
How often have you heard of people having to have the procedure done 3 times providing there is enough corneal thickness left?
2ndguessing

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:05 pm

Not often, because the second enhancement surgery is usually all that is necessary. In theory enhancement surgery can be performed as many times as necessary.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Had It A While Ago