epilasik 14 days ago. Poor close vision. Blurry distance.

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

epilasik 14 days ago. Poor close vision. Blurry distance.

Postby bookkeeper » Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:36 am

I had epilasik 14 days ago. I am 49 and was wearing progressive lenses for astigmatism and reading. Since the surgery my close vision is terrible. I have double vision much of the time. My distance vision is not very good at this point either. I really do not think I should be driving but my doctor has approved it. He suggested I just buy reading glasses from the local drugstore. I am a bookkeeper and the close and computer work is almost impossible. I currently have 4 pairs of reading glasses that I rotate through just to be able to see my work from 2.00 to 3.25. My right eye is worse than my left (this was the eye with the worst astigmatism). I need to know what my expectations Realistically, when can I expect my vision to become more stable. I am not even adverse to wearing a new prescription lense for reading but do not want to purchase any if my vision is going to continue to change. I really need some confidence at this point. Thanks.
bookkeeper

Postby LasikExpert » Sat Jul 01, 2006 5:26 am

I am confident that your vision will improve, and probably improve a lot.

The Epi-Lasik process uses a blunt microkeratome blade to remove the epithelium as a sheet, and then after the laser reshapes the cornea the epithelium is repositioned over the treatment area. We have a detailed article about Epi-Lasik you may want to read. The repositioned epithelium acts as a bandage contact lens, which reduces the probability of corneal haze, is more comfortable than straight PRK (which removes the epithelium completely), and theoretically speeds vision recovery. There is nothing that screws up a perfectly good theory as fast as reality.

The reality is that all of the epithelial cells are mortally wounded in this process and need to be replaced. Although the corneal epithelial cells are the fastest reproducing cells in the human body, they do take some time. Also, the Epi-Lasik process that has so many advantages also has a disadvantage. It takes longer for the wounded cells to die and be replaced than if they had simply been removed completely. That can mean a delayed recovery.

Another problem is that not all the cells are expelled and replaced in a nice orderly fashion across the entire treatment area. Some will be replaced quicker. Some will build up underneath the dying cells. All of this makes for an irregular surface until all the wounded and dying cells have been replaced.

During this process a Epi-Lasik patient can experience poor vision quality at all distances, corneal edema (swelling) that causes multiple images, irregular epithelial surface that causes poor vision quality and/or ghost images, etc.

Between four and eight weeks postop you should see vast improvement in your vision quality. Whether or not you see near very well is difficult to predict. That depends on exactly how you were corrected, if you elected for monovision, if you are slightly undercorrected, etc. You will simply need to wait to see what power of reading glasses you ultimately require.

At about three to four months postop your vision will have that crispness that you expected all along.

Epi-Lasik is not the “20-Minute Miracle” that you hear about all the time, but in the long term studies have shown that you are more likely to have a better outcome tan with Lasik. I like to say that for the first few weeks you will wish you had Lasik, and then every day thereafter you will be glad you had a surface ablation like Epi-Lasik.

What you can do to promote healing is a good regime of lubrication. Preservative-free artificial tears (do not use the “preservative-free on contact” tears) throughout the day and a lubricating gel like Refresh PM or similar brand will make your eyes a good place for healing.

The other thing you can do is blink. People who read or use computers almost always have a longer and harder recovery than those who do not. The reason is that during these activities we do not blink as much. Schedule yourself a brief period of closed eyes throughout the day and keep those artificial tears flowing.

At your four week exam ask your doctor for a manifest refraction. This will give you a prescription for your current state. This will probably not be your permanent prescription, but it will be an excellent indicator of your situation and I can better advise what to expect.

Your vision will undoubtedly get better over the next few weeks. I know it is difficult, but you will need to be patient.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby bookkeeper » Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:28 am

Thank you very much for the info. I have definately seen a very slight improvement in the last week. I was told that I had been overcorrected in both eyes. Is this done because the eyes tend to regress? I am really looking forward to better vision in the future. I always understood that I would require reading glasses due to my age. At what point can I safely ask for a prescription rather than reading glasses off the shelf.
bookkeeper

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:52 am

The overcorrection explains a lot. When you are hyperopic (farsighted, longsighted) and presbyopic, you tend to have poor vision at all distances. Hopefully regression will resolve they hyperopia, and continued healing will resolve the other issues.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Just had my epi lasik over a week ago.

Postby radomstatic » Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:20 pm

I am 46 and just had the surgery over 1 week ago. Needless to say I am having the same problems with terrible close vision (anything under 10 feet). It seems my reading glasses help with my vision upto 10 feet.

I feel worse now that when I had my contacts.

I did not expect this, ity is very difficult. Can you tell me how you made out in the end?

thanks
radomstatic

Re: Just had my epi lasik over a week ago.

Postby Pappy » Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:34 pm

radomstatic wrote:I am 46 and just had the surgery over 1 week ago. Needless to say I am having the same problems with terrible close vision (anything under 10 feet). It seems my reading glasses help with my vision upto 10 feet.

I feel worse now that when I had my contacts.

I did not expect this, ity is very difficult. Can you tell me how you made out in the end?

thanks

I experienced craptastic vision (ghosting while reading the world a blurr) for about 2 weeks after PRK. It has gradually gotten better (week 5 at the moment) I can see pretty well but not perfect. Last check I was 20/15 both eyes but the level of detail vision is not there and in theory should come back slowly over the next year.

Any of the surface ablation surgeries (PRK, Lasek, epi-lasik) are a much longer healing process with people experiencing "functional" (lol) vision in a week. To compensate for this I personally bumped my computer fonts to 120dpi. Used large fonts on websites and took my resolution down to 1080 (from 1600). Also +3 cheapy readers to magnify things. They kind of help if you are having ghosting issues as your epithelium heals and smooths. They no longer do anything for me although I reverted everything back to old way and reading while making my eyes tired is now fine.

By mid week 3 my vision started to become what I consider functional. Don't know if it helps but I'm going to go out and a limb and say this is pretty common. Sorry your doc didn't inform you that their version of functional and your version are probably diffirent.

Good luck with your healing and I know that it might be difficult but search up some posts here on PRK, lasek and epilasik and it might set your mind at ease.
Pappy

BLURRY AT WEEK 1+

Postby radomstatic » Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:23 am

Thanks, I thought I was crazy. I actually use +2.00 reading glasses when driving. Beleive it or not it really helps. I also increased all my fonts on my PC's and decreased the resolution. It makes it bearable. I am truely hoping that my vision will be close to the same as when I was wearing contacts 24 x 7. Have a follow up appointment on Tuesday.

Thanks for you insight and the sleep I will now get.
radomstatic

Re: BLURRY AT WEEK 1+

Postby Pappy » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:45 am

radomstatic wrote:Thanks, I thought I was crazy. I actually use +2.00 reading glasses when driving. Beleive it or not it really helps. I also increased all my fonts on my PC's and decreased the resolution. It makes it bearable. I am truely hoping that my vision will be close to the same as when I was wearing contacts 24 x 7. Have a follow up appointment on Tuesday.

Thanks for you insight and the sleep I will now get.

My pleasure, the early weeks of PRK type surgerious are a ride that I don't think most people are prepared for.

Post an update after your next appointment and keep in mind what my doc told me. Unlike lasik I should measure my vision improvement in weeks and not days. Good luck and keep putting those wetting drops in, it will help heal you faster even if your eyes don't feel dry.
Pappy

Doctors Appointment just under 1 week 6 days epi lasik

Postby radomstatic » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:41 pm

Doctor looked at my eyes and all is healthy. I explained how I am using reading glasses at a -2.00 to drive. I was reassured this is normal and I will get better and better each week.

Vision test shows my distance between -1.50 and -2.00, this explains alot.
My vision before the surgery was at -5.75 and -5.25. (still blurry without glasses)

I now also understand the affect on my reading, I need at least +3.00 to read. Doctor gave me some reading glasess.

I have had not discomfort for the past week and other then not being able to see without glasses both near and far.
glasses with a +2.00 to drive and see clearly far.
glasess with at least a +3.00 to read.

I have been given a new eye drop that should help the recovery time (acular ls). Along with Pred Forte.

I started using the drops today. Next appointment Thursday 03/6.

I'll post an update..... thanks
radomstatic

query.....

Postby Krishnaveni_84 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:08 am

had epilasik before 4 weeks... still not able to work with pc.....
was feeling something has gone wrong in the process before i visited this site.... feeling little bit relaxed now....lets see.... will update soon....
Krishnaveni_84

Re: query.....

Postby Pappy » Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:20 am

Krishnaveni_84 wrote:had epilasik before 4 weeks... still not able to work with pc.....
was feeling something has gone wrong in the process before i visited this site.... feeling little bit relaxed now....lets see.... will update soon....

Depending on where your eyes are at the near vision is like step 5 of 8 in healing. I used +3 readers for the first 3 weeks to assist this + turned up my fonts. Yep it;s a short term solution as you wait it out but worth doing if you need to use the computer for work (and in this day and age who doesn't),
Pappy

3+ weeks since epi-lasik

Postby radomstatic » Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:44 pm

Now I am just past 3 weeks since my epi-lasik. I have seen some improvement in my vision, morning and with sun is best. One puzzling thing is that my right eye which needed more correction is improving much faster then my left.

Today is Sunday and I had a doctor's appointment on the past Thursday morning. The eye test confirmed my left eye is not even close to my right. I am still wearing +2 reading glasses to read, drive , TV (it makes everything clearer).

Doctor changed my drops to 2x per day for the next week Pred Forte (both eyes). He told me to stop the Acular in my right eye and continue in my left 4x per day for the next 2 weeks. This is to help speed the healing in my left eye as he said my right eye is on track.

Played my first ice hockey game and although my vision is not as great as I would like, I was able to play without glasses or contacts. Night vision in the rain tends to be a little challenging at this point.

If this is the progress in 3+ weeks, I am very encouraged that in the end I should be very happy with the end results (hoping the left eye gets on track).

My job is working on a PC all day, this is this difficult but big screens and big fonts help.

Next appointment 03/20, will post an update.
radomstatic

Re: 3+ weeks since epi-lasik

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:35 am

radomstatic wrote:One puzzling thing is that my right eye which needed more correction is improving much faster then my left.

It is very common for one eye to heal at a rate different than the other, and there often seems to be no logic in which heals faster.

radomstatic wrote:Next appointment 03/20, will post an update.

Do keep us updated.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby yemartin » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:20 am

1 week after Epi-Lasik, reporting here as promised in my thinking about it thread. Most of my concerns are directly addressed in here, so I'll avoid creating a new thread.

I am also experiencing a very asymmetric recovery. One week after surgery, one eye sees quite well, 20/15, sharp image, while the other is 20/30 with lots of ghosting. But thanks to Glenn and Pappy's great explanations, I now know not to worry and just be patient. Thank you guys!
yemartin

Epi - Lasik - week 5

Postby radomstatic » Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:59 pm

Have had some slight improvement during the last 2 weeks. I can finally read license plates without reading glasses while driving (right eye only). Because of this I have still been wearing reading glasses while driving, watching TV, working on my computer. Without the ready glasses my left and right eye vision is so out of whack it makes me feel off balance.

Had a doctor’s appointment on Thursday 03/20. There is some improvement but it is slow. My eyes are still healing and at this point I can not be sure in the end if an adjustment will be required.

My doctor has offered me a new method that helps correct overcorrection and under correction through use of something called CLAPIKS (Contact Lens Assisted Pharmacologically Induced Kerato Steepening). Although there is not enough statistical information to prove effectiveness, several papers have indicated this could help. The one big plus is that by use of the contact lens during the healing, vision is restored to normal.

The theory is that through the use of ACULAR and the CONTACT LENS that the curve required to correct my vision can be achieved without a touch up lasik procedure.

It is as similar concept to the invisaline braces. I visit the doctor 1 time per week and the lens powers are adjusted according to my progress. (Hopefully lowering power as I go along)

I am thrilled that I can now see without reading glasses and if this works this is a great way to accomplish the end result without the problem of really bad vision in the interim.

Next appointment Thursday 03/27. Will post an update
radomstatic

Next

Return to Just Had It