1 month check-up

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

1 month check-up

Postby susieQ » Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:42 am

I had my one month check up today. I am happy to say that I am healing nicely and have no problems as a result of the wrinkle in my left flap. My doctor said that I still have some astigmatism in both eyes. I was fitted for some glasses to use while driving. My distance vision is kind of blurry and I suppose the monovision takes away from it as well. They said that many people that choose to have monovision have the distance glasses for driving. Anyway, I ordered glasses with magnetic sun glasses. After I left and had a discussion with my husband we both decided to cancel the glasses and think it over a little more. I would be spending a considerable amount of money and who's to say that my vision won't continue to change over the next 5 months. Glenn, do you think that it's wise to wait for awhile longer to see how much better my eyes become as the healing process continues? Thank you so much. This site has been like my best friend lately.
susieQ

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:16 am

It is good to hear that you are improving and are becoming satisfied with your vision.

Check around with different opticians for a liberal warranty policy. Some of the national chains will provide free lens changes for up to a year if your refractive error changes more than 0.25 diopters. It is reasonable to expect your vision to continue to change.

I have monovision and I wear glasses whenever I want to have excellent distance vision, such as driving. I personally think that monovision may be adequate, but while driving extra safely is important enough to wear glasses.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

One month check-up

Postby susieQ » Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:47 am

Thanks.
susieQ

Postby movingblur » Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:05 pm

Glenn,
I was interested to see your response to susieQ as it addressed something that I have been less than happy about.

Shortly (2 months) before I had my lasik (Oct 20, 2006), I tried monovision contacts as I didn't want to get something permanent done when I could try the temporary version. It took me about a week to get used to them. I loved the monovision contacts. My near vision was great and my distance vision was as well. All was so good, in fact, that I was tempted not to do the lasik, but decided to go for it so I could have that great vision with glasses or contacts.

I'm almost six months out and my near vision is good, but my distance vision is lacking. My distance eye is -0.75 and my doctor reluctantly says he will do an enhancement as if I should be happy with where I am. But, I give presentations at work (and also attend meetings where presentations are given) and I can no longer see the slides unless I am standing almost close enough to touch them. I can drive ok, but I can't read all the signs (when did it say that school zone was in effect?). And I can't make out faces clearly enough to recognize people as we approach down a hall.

Finally, to what interested me about your answer. I see that you wear glasses to have excellent distance vision which leads me to the conclusion that I expected too much from lasik. However, with that in mind, I think that rather than having more surgery (the enhancement) contact lenses may be the answer. Do you or does anyone have any input as to their expectation/experience with distance vision, monovision and lasik?

Again, thank you so much for this forum. It is always interesting and provides great information.
movingblur

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:59 pm

movingblur wrote:I see that you wear glasses to have excellent distance vision...

I have monovision correction. Without glasses I am able to see near objects well enough that I can read my mobile phone, read a newspaper, see the computer monitor, and generally get around. I can see well enough to drive and have no restrictions on my license, but I pefer the extra crisp distance vision I achieve with glasses.

For me, wearing glasses for distance vision is a matter of personal choice.

movingblur wrote:However, with that in mind, I think that rather than having more surgery (the enhancement) contact lenses may be the answer. Do you or does anyone have any input as to their expectation/experience with distance vision, monovision and lasik?

Your vision with one contact fully correcting your distance eye should be about the same as the monovision you experienced with both contacts before surgery.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Had It A While Ago