Considering PRK with Astigmatism

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Considering PRK with Astigmatism

Postby Acer » Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:54 pm

I am considering PRK. I have gone to only 1 clinic at this point and plan to go to at least 3 others. My first MD informed me thaty my corneas are too thin for lasic and that I would require PRK with wavefront technology (I requested wavefront) My prescription is as follows

OD -1.25 1.75x177
OS -.50 -3.50x170

I wa trying to figure out what my prescription numbers mean and also what they may mean for my PRK surgery as far as outcomes and hopes of obtaing 20/20 vision. Any information is graetly appreciated.

Thank You
Acer

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:56 pm

You may find our article on how to read your glasses prescription helpful. You have very low myopia (nearsighted, shortsighted) vision with very high astigmatism. Astigmatism is more challenging to correct than myopia, however you are within the treatable range. It would be reasonable to expect some fluctuation in vision after PRK and it may be necessary to have enhancement surgery to "fine tune" the final outcome.

You may want to consider a certified surgeon or use our 50 Tough Questions For Your Doctor.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby Acer » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:13 pm

Thanks so much for your lighting quick resposne! I'm sure I will have more questions as I proceed through this process. Your information is very informative. Great website.
Acer

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:41 pm

I'm glad you are finding us helpful. Tell your friends, your doctor, and link to us from other forums.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby Acer » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:41 pm

Glenn,
what is the normal range of treatment of prk with an astigmatism.

thanks

Mike
Acer

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:09 pm

The range of treatment for PRK is the same as Lasik, however the concern is corneal haze with higher corrections. This problem has been reasonably well resolved with the use of Mitomycin C during surgery to change the healing process and with the patient taking 500mg of vitamin C twice a day for a week before surgery and two weeks after surgery.

Mitomycin C is strong medicine that is appropriate when necessary, but is probably best avoided when possible.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It