6 Month after surgery

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

6 Month after surgery

Postby E » Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:49 am

I am 38 y old. I had both Eyes done in september 2006, with flab technique. I was -5.50 both eyes before the surgery. I was so happy about the results immediatley after the procedure, I was able to drive.
I moved to another state. Now I have 2 problems, I cannot read street signs, night lights is very uncomfortable (see star vision, bright lights) I cannot drive at night and day vision is poor. I did go to another opthalmologist, he did full exam and said: I am -1 both eyes now, no astigmatism. He recomened Eye glasses sphere - 1 and told me to call the surgeon in kanas city and he did fax his evalution to him. The surgeon in kansas city called me and he said I need enhancement based in the new evalution by this doctor in Arizona. Any idea what should I do, I am worried about overcorrection. Should I only correct one eye. Any advices or thoughts is appreciated.
Thanks
E

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:56 pm

At age 38 you are just before the point at which most people need reading glasses. If you have enhancement surgery in only your dominant eye, you will have monovision and will likely not need reading glasses until much later and when they become necessary, you will likely need them less often. The difficult part will be between now and when presbyopia becomes problematic.

Ask your Arizona doctor if it would be appropriate to fit you with a contact lens in your dominant eye to simulate monovision. This will give you a real-world example of monovision with your current vision.

After a monovision trial in contact lenses, discuss the cost of enhancement surgery with your Arizona doctor. You may find that the cost of having surgery at your new home is less expensive than traveling for surgery at your old home.

Before you have any surgery, verify that your situation is actually due to regression. Your change in environment may be contributing. It is much less humid in Arizona than Kansas City. Have you started new meds (prescription or over-the-counter) for anything else? Have you changed meds? Are you using a new supplement program? Are you pregnant? All of these issues unrelated to your laser eye surgery can cause changes in vision. Verify first that the new myopia (nearsighted, shortsighted) vision is not temporary and/or related to something else.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

38 male

Postby E » Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:31 am

I didnot try the monovision yet. I got -1 eyeglasses, I couldnt believe I was able to see much better. The office of the surgeon in KC called me and said I need an enhancement(free) based in the faxed report they recived from AZ doc. I use computer and tablet PC 8 h a day. I am 6 month after surgery now, the Doc in Arizona doesnot do any lasik procedures, he does know the surgeon in KC and he said I should contact him and let him make the decison. He also said I may need eyeglasses when I hit 40 Y old. Is -1 a good candidiate for enhancement or not. I will make another appointment with Az doc to discuss fitting for contact lenes for monovision simulation. however any advice from you is greatly appreciated. Is there a clear cut what I have now -1 will be -1 for good, or there is a chance I will improve after another 6 months.
Thanks for your help.
E

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:36 am

Your myopia is within treatable range, but the big question is what do you really want to accomplish and is that goal for today the best goal for a few short years from now when presbyopia starts to limit near vision.

It would seem wise to try the monovision with contacts before making a decision.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Had It A While Ago