AutoImmune Disease and Lasik

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

AutoImmune Disease and Lasik

Postby littlebigmouth » Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:26 am

In two of the four consultations that I had, the paperwork I was given indicated that if I had an autoimmune disease, Lasik was not recommended. It poses a couple of questions:

1.) What's the risk associated with an autoimmune disease?

2.) I have not been diagnosed with any autoimmune disease but they do run in my immediate family. Should I be tested?

3.) Why didn't all the doctors indicate there was concern, is this a controversial topic?

Thanks
littlebigmouth

Re: AutoImmune Disease and Lasik

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:24 am

littlebigmouth wrote:1.) What's the risk associated with an autoimmune disease?

Unexpected healing and unexpected response to the laser energy are a couple of concerns with an autoimmune disease. If an unusual problem occurs it will be difficult to determine if the problem is exclusively from the surgery, exclusively from the autoimmune disease, or from the surgery and exacerbated by the autoimmune disease. Probably the worst case scenario would be a dormant autoimmune disease being triggered to an active state by surgery. The body is going to consider surgery an invasion whether you planned the surgery or not.

littlebigmouth wrote:2.) I have not been diagnosed with any autoimmune disease but they do run in my immediate family. Should I be tested?

You should discuss this with your general practitioner. I would think that being checked would be a good health decision even if you are not considering elective surgery. Knowing if there is a problem could be important if there was an emergent reason for surgery.

littlebigmouth wrote:3.) Why didn't all the doctors indicate there was concern, is this a controversial topic?

If you have no history of autoimmune disorders it would not seem to be an issue.

What makes this situation more difficult than it may at first appear is that there are probably case histories of someone having successful Lasik and every autoimmune disease that exists. Since it is possible to have a good result, Lasik with an autoimmune disease is not necessarily a automatic and/or full contraindication. Autoimmune is one that is not so black and white.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It